Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dutch yellow Eclat project - Page 3 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Dutch yellow Eclat project

Berend72

On 07/01/2019 at 21:06, eclat22 said:

Hi, with regard to the bolts that hold the bonnet on they probably have nyloc nuts on the inside, you would have to access them by removing the headlights and going through the headlight pod, having had the bolts shake out without  nyloc nuts  on whilst travelling up the motorway resulting in the bonnet ejecting from the car I would not rely on just threading into the bobbin although it sounds like yours have been drilled out or stripped. 

Hope this helps, 

regards Dan 

Seemed easier to read than perform.... Tried to remove all screws but most of them were rusted and impossible to remove. 1 part succeeded on the left and yes, there is a hole/tunnel between the wheelarch and engine bay, but impossible to reach the nut from the bonnet. Tried to remove the whole light pod. 1 part succeeded, but the part at the side of the wheelarch impossible!! Could not feel any nut on the other side, so I am afraid I have to use a grinder.... Someone said earlier that the grinder will be most of use and now I understand.....  or is there a easier way? Checked also how to remove the front bumper and found 2 nuts on the backside where the license plate is. I think there are also some screws behind the light indicators covers? 

20190117_153517_resized.jpg

Thought I try to find old pictures of my Eclat before I bought the car as I remembered that there are still parts on the car which are now missing. And yes! as you can see the headlights are complete and the bumper lights are still in its place..... Think this owner decided to keep these parts for his Elite as spare parts maybe, but didnot notice it when the car was picked up.... I do have the headlights but not the alluminium rings.  I donot have any contactdetails from this  Belgian owner, but when he is here at this forum please contact me.  

eclat 122016.jpg

Instead of the grinder you could try a Bosch multitool (pmf200 lots of similar tools available) to cut off stubborn bolts and screws  

use gaffer tape on the adjacent surfaces for protection.....

removing the old screws and bolts is preferable..... as drilling out and rethreading can be a complete nightmare 

Succeeded in getting the screws out en get the headlight pods off. When you move your arm snakewise into that hole you can reach the other end of where the bonnet bolts are. The nuts are inside the body/polyester.... Thanks for the tip for the Bosch Multitool. I am afraid I have to use this very, very much as most bolts/nuts are completely rusted/stuck. Think it will be must easier to have these rusted bolts cut off and replace them by new stainless steels.... Thought the engine or electrics would be a challenge, but just removing the bonnet is quit a challenge :)

20190119_122202_resized.jpg

• Like 2

Bought the Bosch Multitool with extra blade for metal, but the blade didnot the work I expected... The blade became blunt... but that is more a warranty thing for Bosch. Probably I hit the screws, as it was hard to see where to saw. But the blade should survive this... Somehow I managed to move the bonnet a bit forward and could get hold on the screw and could get the hood off with the rattle. Now I have a good look of the engine in the front and noticed the lower hanging object on the right under.... What is it? I miss one of the belts, that's for sure, but should the item be movable? Do I miss more items? An unpleasant surprise after the bonnet job.... Hopefully it is not that worse? 

20190126_151102_resized.jpg

Yes, rusty it is haha, but not totally lost. I found that I miss the pulley for the waterpump and the power steering pump is hanging low as it is not attached for some reason....Maybe to remove/attach the belt? Is it hard to find a pulley for the waterpump? And do I need more than just the pulley? Please let me know!

Thanks! How do you mean shot? and which seal? I asked the mechanics at my work what it could be, but they thought that it would be replace the gasket?  Only necessary if it has to be replaced?  I have a pulley from my friend Bauke. I searched for the forum which screws I have to use for fitting and if there is a central attachment in front of the pulley, but could not find any clear photos. The parts manual doesnot have clear pictures either. 

I think I know which seal you mean, in the centre of the water pump. I think I have to remove the whole waterpump to get access to it?  I also found repair kit on the site of SJ Sportscars or Lotusbits, do I need those or just replacing the seal (which I could not find on either sites)

22 hours ago, Berend72 said:

I think I know which seal you mean, in the centre of the water pump. I think I have to remove the whole waterpump to get access to it?  I also found repair kit on the site of SJ Sportscars or Lotusbits, do I need those or just replacing the seal (which I could not find on either sites)

Yeah its the seal in the centre, so you need to take the pump off. Its not that easy to replace the seal and you will need a press. You might want so send to either of the companies you mentioned and let them do it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not a recent post, but in the meantime very busy with gathering parts and removing parts. Last week I removed the valve cover to respray with wrinkle paint. This weekend I removed the front bumper. Mainly also to remove the side front lights in the bumper. I found that exactly the same were used by a Mini Clubman. Someone in my neighbourhood had several Mini-parts for sale and had a meeting with him this week. It appeared that the lights were exactly the same. I missed the rubbers between the lens and at the bumperside (or was broken/not useful anymore) but the person made some stock for himself. I was also curious about the headlights, they also looked the same as mine! The person offered me the lot for a really good price, so I am very happy!!!  

febklein1.jpg

febklein2.jpg