Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Disc brakes : heat cracks - Page 3 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Disc brakes : heat cracks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

so after 16 month with the front Kobra discs , and many many trackdays , the status of the discs :

20180607_194940.jpg

20180607_194915.jpg

20180607_194923.jpg

20180607_194907.jpg

I never get any braking problem. 

Is it the time to change ? the brake feeling is degraded , but hard to say. due to the price (2x the price of OEM disc) maybe I will go back to OEM.

50 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

Mine were looking similar so I just replaced them.  I think you’d really regret going back to standard if you track the car.  Also, you should be careful with wheel cleaning products as they’ve changed the colour of the bells.

Agreed.  If you have done "many many trackdays", then I suspect they have lasted better than anything else would.

You need to make sure you cool them down properly, as not doing this makes the crazing worse.

Dave

• 1 month later...

As per @W31SSN, earlier this year I swapped out my very tired brakes for Dave @Seriouslylotus 's fully floating front discs, opting to stick to standard diameter, matching the rears at the same time by changing his to J-hook rotors and retaining the original Cup bells. Stuck with PF08s and had my usual initial grumbles from them which come good once you give them a proper pasting. Very happy with these.

Apologies for the wheels covered in brakedust from recent Spa day. The anodised floating bells are great in black, so much better than the standard Lotus 2-piece bells which looked tired really quickly.

43942978831_937db35f02_b.jpg

Edited by Arun_D
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Switched my stock cross-drilled rotors as well to Dave's @Seriouslylotus ---- excellent product.

Of course, they will also develop cracks eventually, as do all rotors when used on track. 😉

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Be aware (it's not strictly an issue) that the Alcons are wet machined.  And I have never in my life seen a brake rotor balanced in a way that interferes with the braking/pad surface.

We usually have PFCs in stock - got a pair coming in early part of next week if it helps at all.

Dave

Edited by Hangar 111

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

do you know if there is a repair kit (with new bellows) for the brake caliper ? I don't find any Lotus reference but maybe with APracing ?

otherwise in december I will update my introduction post by adding new comments about how to maintain your car when your track it and really use it. I made many mistakes...

PFC pads are too much for OEM discs imho ... thats why I went for the Kobra4 setup right away ... I am also in the 2nd set of bearings btw ... track use is certainly not cheap but it could be worse if your track car is a Porsche, McL or even Ferrari ... 

• Like 2