Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
78 Lotus Elite Project - Page 3 - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

78 Lotus Elite Project

That looks brilliant. Retro with a modern twist. I love the colour and the polished wheels. 🙂

• Like 1

It's getting there......

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, TAR said:

That looks brilliant. Retro with a modern twist. I love the colour and the polished wheels. 🙂

Yeah thanks, it's taken years to complete but was worth it in the end. I wanted to keep it as original as I could with a few minor modern upgrades. 

Really smart. With regard to the respray do you recall what the final rub down was grit, paste etc. Also what did you use in order to get to the final finish ie base coat through to top coat finish and type of paint , any heating etc. Some background on methodology will help my understanding what works on these grade of glass fibre cars 

4 hours ago, Robbie said:

Really smart. With regard to the respray do you recall what the final rub down was grit, paste etc. Also what did you use in order to get to the final finish ie base coat through to top coat finish and type of paint , any heating etc. Some background on methodology will help my understanding what works on these grade of glass fibre cars 

Hi Rob thanks. I rubbed it down with 2000 grit i think it was then went over the whole body with scotch bright and grease remover, once that was done we put it in the booth, not sure what temperature it was set too as it was a mates booth. We laid down the single pot base coat (about 6 coats to cover) then 3 coats of two pot clear over the top. We then blocked it back with 3000 and polished it with a buffing machine. in person it looks like glass. The paint I used was a just a automotive brand we have here in NZ. I actually had to re-fare the body as with fibre glass the whole car looked pretty rippled. Its still not perfect but good enough for me. 

• Like 1

Thanks Ben mines original and has been on the road unusually in this country for last 3 years, .I sourced a new chrome waist strip in preparation for a respray but below the chrome waist strip the paint  is lovely lagoon blue and very shiny. Above the strip is a different story faded and few chips. The original electric mirrors are good and chrome finishers in excellent condition. The top is original twin sunroofs and a blue padded roof covering all good. Only thing I did was electric Mazda risers for headlights. I think theirr is a picture on my profile. My thoughts are get the top masked off below the chrome finishers and also masked below the chrome waist strip. Then prepare and get the top half sprayed from waist strip up to but not including the window chrome. Then refitting the new waist chrome. Idoubt I can get the original fantastic finish for the bit I will have resprayed but if is close, two two slightly  shades I think would look nice. When I got the car first I thought the paint was two different shades above and below the chrome waist strip. You have given me inspiration a part respray will not completely ruin the originality even if the top half is never as good a quality.

Not so keen on the bumper but the paint and interior look fantastic.  I also really like how you've painted the cam covers red and used red hoses to go with the paint.  Great attention to detail.

• Like 1

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

4 hours ago, Robbie said:

Thanks Ben mines original and has been on the road unusually in this country for last 3 years, .I sourced a new chrome waist strip in preparation for a respray but below the chrome waist strip the paint  is lovely lagoon blue and very shiny. Above the strip is a different story faded and few chips. The original electric mirrors are good and chrome finishers in excellent condition. The top is original twin sunroofs and a blue padded roof covering all good. Only thing I did was electric Mazda risers for headlights. I think theirr is a picture on my profile. My thoughts are get the top masked off below the chrome finishers and also masked below the chrome waist strip. Then prepare and get the top half sprayed from waist strip up to but not including the window chrome. Then refitting the new waist chrome. Idoubt I can get the original fantastic finish for the bit I will have resprayed but if is close, two two slightly  shades I think would look nice. When I got the car first I thought the paint was two different shades above and below the chrome waist strip. You have given me inspiration a part respray will not completely ruin the originality even if the top half is never as good a quality.

It's quite a nice blue, I thought of painting mine blue but decided to keep it red, red cars go faster hear ha ha. yeah the mazda headlight risers are what I'm currently doing, I've got all the parts to do it now so will be a good upgrade. A few other guys have done the same mod. It wouldn't tale much to paint yours especially if your doing the top half. Rub down, mask up lay a base coat and a clear down and it'll come up like new for sure. I never got round to putting the rubber waist trim around the car but I quite like it with out now so will probably leave as is.