Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Sad News - John Surtees RIP - Motorsport - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Sad News - John Surtees RIP

theelanman

Just seen this. A sad loss not only for his family but for the world of motor sport.

A true British Gent, may he rest in peace.

:) 

It's getting there......

So Sad,

I remember going to Brands Hatch with my brother many years ago to see  the man drive and ride around the track, I think it  was called "The John Surtees Day", I still have the program somewhere. He took to the track on some vintage kit, Barry Sheene was there and put a few laps in, John then took to the track on Barry's bike and after a couple of laps was within a couple of seconds Barry's time. What a day, What a Man!!!

RIP Sir John Surtees. 

• Gold FFM

I was at my father's earlier and this was on the news. Apparently, about six years ago, a group of his friends were riding to Spa for some racing. An old boy on a motorbike pulled up at the same services they were stopped at, came over and had a bit of a chat as he saw the number plates were English.

It was John Surtees. What a guy.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Yes 'legend' is overused these days. Not in this instance. The man achieved incredible things on the track but endured huge suffering off it too, recovering from some horrific injuries and of course losing his son Henry in 2009. Truly remarkable man.

23 hours ago, maydharm said:

So Sad,

I remember going to Brands Hatch with my brother many years ago to see  the man drive and ride around the track, I think it  was called "The John Surtees Day", I still have the program somewhere. He took to the track on some vintage kit, Barry Sheene was there and put a few laps in, John then took to the track on Barry's bike and after a couple of laps was within a couple of seconds Barry's time. What a day, What a Man!!!

RIP Sir John Surtees. 

Think I was at that and he rode his beloved Vincent grey flash which I think he still owned and had done since he had worked at the Vincent factory in Stevenage.enjoy this link

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

15 hours ago, The Pits said:

losing his son Henry in 2009

I was a marshall at the race where Henry died, in fact was stood right next to him as the back end guy when we had to restart the race, 3 laps before the accident. Very sad day. I saw John at Autosport the year after and wanted to tell him his son looked like he was having such fun that day before the accident but didn't have the balls to speak to him about it. RIP John Surtees.  

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.