Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
measuring and setting Toe in. - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

measuring and setting Toe in.

good write up. You can simplify it a bit by lifting the front and rear bars to axle height and then just measuring from the string to the centre of the wheels to make sure the bar are set equal left and right. Then just measure from the string to the front and rear of the wheel and do the maths to get the toe. In this way you don't need the bars added each side of the wheels. Probably better to use fishing wire if doing it this way as its thinner. I know this method seems a bit crude but F1 has been using that method for the last 40 years at least and some teams still do it.

Chrisitan

Christian,

I have thougt about those suggestions before, but for me this setup works fine. I explain:

I chose to place the wire just above the ground. (about 0.8cm, thickness of the rubber under the bars), because  for me it is easier to accurately measure on surface level.( ruler on the floor).

To set up and position the strings. I measure from center of the wheels using a square. But I soon discovered , that , in my case, I got the same result measuring on the floor from the bottom of the tyres to the string. Both measurements gave the same outcome. So I am quit sure the two strings were placed exactly parrallel to the centerline of the car.

Second, I really prefer to use the 2m alu bars. The wheel diam is about 390mm. The two plummets on the bar are 1950mm wide. So measuring a difference between the two plummets of fe 10mm gives a toe in of 2mm measured on the rims. I mean, the long alu bars amplify the measurement difference with factor 5 , leaving me with a more accurate reading.

So infact:

If you measure from a string to the front and rear of the wheel, you are measuring differences in magnitude of 0.5 to 4 mm.

With the long alu bars, I am measuring differences in magnitude of  2.5mm to 20mm

Geert

• 2 weeks later...

I use exactly the method Christian outlined with nylon fishing line and its quite accurate, but you are right the offsets are small to measure.  I like your idea with the bar and amplification Geert.

I use this tool. Fast and accurate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toe-Plates-Most-Accurate-DIY-Wheel-Alignment-Tool-Gauge-/281932528463

Periodically I do the string check to make sure the body and both axles are square and in line. Ideally the body should be raised, plumb bobs used to mark the floor and a diagonal check from the suspension pick-up points to make sure the car is square.

DanR