IGNORED

LEW's Oxford Meeting 2007

Kato

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Haven't attended this one before. From old pics - looks like another one not to be missed though.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Woopeeeeee!!!

Heythrop is 5 miles from home and I *should* have my Esprit back from SJs by then!! :)

Count me in :)

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' and 1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 286,000 miles and counting!

My current thinking on the event is that we should have a conference style format.

For example,

Plenary lecture(s) for all and a few parallel short technical sessions of special interest.

It would be useful to have some feedback on what topics or speakers people would like to hear about.

Dermot

• 2 weeks later...
This years Oxford Meeting will again be at Heythrop Park and will be taking place on Sunday 13th May 2007. More details to follow, but keep the date free!

Oxford 2006

If your a serious Esprit owner one goes to this event...my Sport 350 is still in bits waiting for special Crank Bearings...but I'll be there as usual my guess again in the Silver C2..video camera in hand again.....OK who is giving me a Ride this year...HINT HINT..sure to be a great day out..always is my 4 or 5th year now....Heythrop Park is really great....food ..actually its very nice....company 110% petrol heads..............chow Rob C

damfast35nut@talktalk.net or 07976 609881

I think Kato is away at present.. but it will be soon, don't worry.

We had a planning session last night, trying to cram in as much as possible to make the day really special, whilst not falling foul of the new rules on big convoys.. should be another great day :)

• Gold FFM

New rules on big convoys????? What have I missed?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

New rules on big convoys????? What have I missed?

Rob, Dermot and me met thursday night to discuss this years meet.

Convoys of more than twelve cars on a pre arranged route need a permit.

Previous years we have been lucky but having that many cars out on a designated

route, with maps as well, put us in risk of prosecution if we were caught, or worse

case if there was some incident or accident either within our group or involving a

member of the public.

We could try for a permit, but there is no way we would get one for the village

routes that we all enjoy, it's more likely it would confine us to pre arranged larger

roads which is not as much fun.

As long as the route is not decided, marked, or mapped, then there is nothing stopping

60 cars driving together (eg lets go to great yarmouth). No maps, no actual route, just

cars driving together.

Plans will be revealed soon, but we will all get the chance to drive together as a group,

and we will all get to also drive our run. Notice i said driving together AND a run...

More will follow, it's all sorted out, worry not. :)

Convoys of more than twelve cars on a pre arranged route need a permit.

So that applies to the thousands of drivers using the motorway everyday then for commuting ?

That's a pre-planned route.

Can anyone point to this legeslation in writing ? I'd LOVE to read it, I cannot find anything on the web about it though.

Am I missing something cus it does sound like the most stupidest thing I have ever heard !!!

I suppose it's to stop point to point street racing or something but as long as you're road legal, obide by the rule of the road and are within the speed limit (which we all do) I can't see what problem a convoy causes.

Besides who uses a map nowadays, I mean really....get yourself a TomTom !

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Jono,

I think the problem stems from the insurance industry rather than the legislature.

Insurers see risk increasing if we travel together. Perhaps we'll start showing off and trying to outpace each other.........as if!

It could also constitute a rally in the minds of some insurers. Most policies don't cover rallies, so why we won't get paid out by the insurer, they will still have to pay the injured third party.

Insurers tend to generalise, so we all get punished even though the Esprit community is very well behaved.

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Jono,

I think the problem stems from the insurance industry rather than the legislature.

Insurers see risk increasing if we travel together. Perhaps we'll start showing off and trying to outpace each other.........as if!

It could also constitute a rally in the minds of some insurers. Most policies don't cover rallies, so why we won't get paid out by the insurer, they will still have to pay the injured third party.

Insurers tend to generalise, so we all get punished even though the Esprit community is very well behaved.

Graham.

Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52)

1988 c. 52

Nothing in here except

Motor racing and motoring events on public ways

12 Motor racing on public ways.

13 Regulation of motoring events on public ways.

Does not mention Rallies or convoys.

Found this on the web

The Motor Vehicles (Competitions and Trials) Regulations 1969 (amended 1974, 1976, 1978, 1982 and 1993) require that any motoring event which utilises the Public Highway are subject to authorisation under the legislation. The Department of Transport has appointed The Royal Automobile Club as the controlling agency to undertake authorisation on its behalf in England and Wales. This legislation is handled by the Competition Authorisation Office (CAO). This function in Scotland is undertaken by the Royal Scottish Automobile Club.

Last year there was a consulatation paper looking into changing the law.

The key to it appears to that the motor event in some way is "competitive" ie is timed or lowest mileage etc. There is a nice dicussion on this green-laners web site

This document in Hansard is a discussion between an MP and the minister on a motor cycle hill climb event is interesting too.

Alex

Edited by Alex --GT3--

so the good old Treasure Hunt is out then?

so we are living in a open prison, run by a dictator in a communist country.

if you are forced to get a permit, this tells the Gestapo where to point there cameras.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Chillllllllll

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

The legeslation is for any event that is competative, I can sort of understand this because the title in itself leads people to compete, drive faster and so on - but it's still WAY over the top if you ask me, legeslation on how to behave on the roads is already there, why introduce more BS and more laws for something that already exists......WHY !

Unless you're talking road closures and / or specific dannger I trully fail to see the problem....at all.

Anyways the Oxford meet is not competative so we're OK.

Still like to read the Motor Vehicles (Competitions & Trials) Regulations 1969, which I can't find anywhere.

Surely there is a rule about farting in the car somewhere in there - although I wouldn't be suprised to see some sort of tax / fee for having an event over 12 cars just for the sake of it.

Extract from that letter - nice to see someone with some un-common sense !!!

"Frankly, a big legislative hammer is being used to crack open a small nut. Although I will grant that the hill climb is a competition of speed and timing, it is not a Formula 1 grand prix. Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello are not fighting Jenson Button and Juan Pablo Montoya for a place on a winning podium in Saltburn. Instead, we are talking about a rather sedate race of very old bikes, lovingly restored and maintained by bike enthusiasts from across the north of England."

It's all to do with some jumped up busy-body jobsworth trying to make a name for themselves with more beaurocratic bullshit.

It's not the control aspect of it that bothers me, tbh there's nothing stopping you from applying for the permit and you'll probably get it because the person on the sharp end is too lazy to do their rubber stamp job propperly to notice - it's the sheer waste of time, money and effort for something totally needless. This is why criminals on the street know more about the law than the average Copper becuase there is SOOOO much legeslation, clasues, ammendments and so on ascertaining to every single concievable crime you can think of.

/soapbox

Hey guys... :rant:

Start a road nanny thread, it'll run for pages and pages and pages i've no doubt! Please!!!.

It's the possibility of incident and accident that we have to consider. It is when,and not if, that we have an incident. It might be two Esprits coming together, it might involve the public. Rob, Dermot and Myself want to be sure we are covered, and that your insurance will pay out.

As i said. It is sorted, so don't worry and on with the Oxford meet thread. :geek:

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone going from SE / London ?

I'd love to go but the springs for mine are still not here (4 weeks and counting) :X

So it's looking unlikely for me.

hmmmm wonder if Lipscombs will lend me a hoon mobile for the day ?

Is anyone going from SE / London ?

I'd love to go but the springs for mine are still not here (4 weeks and counting) ;)

So it's looking unlikely for me.

hmmmm wonder if Lipscombs will lend me a hoon mobile for the day ?

Come anyway mate :X

Have only driven mine once since Janurary and she's currently in bits in

the workshop, but i'll be there, as a was at donny, in the saxo if it comes

to that, which i hope it don't...