Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit V8 ( 1997) Clock and Fuel gauge pods broken - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit V8 ( 1997) Clock and Fuel gauge pods broken

Guest modifiedv8engines

Guest modifiedv8engines

Apparently a fairly common problem but cant find much about repair or replacment.

Both my Clock and Fuel Gauge pods have cracked where the bezel mounts leading to both instruments dropping down in the instrument binnacle. Spend a few hours looking for the so called 4 bolts to remove the intrument cluster but ended up just removing the top binnacle. ( two cross head screws either end of the binnacle and one longish bolt under the dash near the steering column) 

Glass and black bezel in tack but looks like the white plastic part that houses the intrument(s) is cracked/broken ?

Anyone found replacments or an effective repair ?

Thanks

Paul

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two studs facing up from the chassis cross brace, and two studs facing down from the binnacle. The former are easy to undo once the cover has been removed, the latter requires Lotus position.

SJ sells replacement gauges, check first they are in stock, but it's entirely possible to have them repaired by Speedy Cables. They do a very good job, but just be prepared for a wait.

Also, have a look at the recent bits of my S4s refurb thread.

Margate Exotics.

Guest modifiedv8engines

Thanks Lads

Bit of a bodge but £2.50 tube of superglue and seems to have worked okay. Both gauges had sheared directly below where the bezel sits so could I suppose add a second layer of rtv sealant to act as a buffer/cushion and just nip up the gauges onto the panel to hold in place.

Bit of a crapy old design really as never had such failures in many many years of car and motorcycle ownership.....probably an  "o" ring the diameter of the gauge and either side of the gauge when fitted may have prevented this occuring in the first place.

Glad you got it sorted.

Someone had previously glued mine too, but they were broken. I tried to do the same, they held for a while, but the damn things broke again. They should have a rubber O-ring to cushion them at the front, all mine have, anyway. The casing studs on one of my gauges had sheared from the body, presumably someone had overtightened it. No amount of glue could fix that.

It's a crap design as you say, and an expensive one, too.

Margate Exotics.

Guest modifiedv8engines

Ian

Mine look to have been repaired before so guesses are after this repair and another 0-10 years they may go again. Just checked the other gauges whilst "in there" and boost gauge has also cracked around the pod to bezel area and was hanging on by 10mm or so of white egg shell/plastic.

The other two gauges had no "O" rings so this wouldnt have helped - will however install with the o rings to help cushion.

Not a major job but great shame need to be doing this in the first place  .........more irritation than anything else but we all know this and is part of the ownership thing with these cars. Weathers nice so should get a nice tan whilst working in the "green house"

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Paul

• 3 years later...