Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Track Rod - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Track Rod

Hi 

Following on from my previous thread how do i remove the track rod ? is the part with the two flat edges a lock nut ? I can turn the whole thing slightly back and forth a couple of mil but that's it. 

Thanks 

Paul 

20170628_145437.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Paul, you can get various special tools  (search Fleabay, Inner tie rod removal tool)  to do this, but it is possible to get it off without.  The bit the ball sits in may have a couple of flat sides, using a suitable sized spanner and some leaverage will get it off.  If there are no flats and it's all round you can use a stilson wrench like in this. 

Hope that helps

Hi Trunnion74 

Thanks for that yes it has flats but it's just rocking back and forth there seems to be a pin in the back side but only one hole so I can't knock the pin out sort of speak 

Thanks 

Paul 

11 minutes ago, Trunnion 74 said:

Can't say I've come across one with a pin in it, any chance of a pic showing pin?

I guess that's why it's rocking back and forth a few mil each way 

20170628_171022.jpg

4 minutes ago, andydclements said:

I think it may be a roll-pin. Those can be a straight-through hole and so easy, or a blind hole and a PITA.

Don't think it's a roll pin as it looks solid 

Thanks

Paul 

I have just done this on my rack, it is a small mild steel pin, it is there just to lock it in position.

It is usually fitted between the lock nut ring and the ball joint casing.

One side i rocked back and forth until the pin started to fall out and then pulled it out with plyers. 

On the other side i had to drill it out.

Good luck!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pbharcourt said:

I have just done this on my rack, it is a small mild steel pin, it is there just to lock it in position.

It is usually fitted between the lock nut ring and the ball joint casing.

One side i rocked back and forth until the pin started to fall out and then pulled it out with plyers. 

On the other side i had to drill it out.

Good luck!

Thanks all sorted now 

20170628_192537.jpg