Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Speccing a 250 Cup - Page 2 - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Speccing a 250 Cup

Neal H

I have a first-gen 250 Cup-esque SE which was already specc'd by Lotus. I too could have done without the radio because the radio reception is poor, even in built up areas. Standard fit Clarion radio (unless it's changed) has no DAB of course and no LW (what, no cricket?!). However what redeems it is the USB port for phone charging and Bluetooth for playing my iphone music which is actually surprisingly good with by far a better sound than the radio, and connects automatically, although sooner or later I'm sure there will be a new aftermarket DAB single DIN with a pop-out large screen for nav (and apple CarPlay which is a real boon in my Alltrack). The dash speakers are also specc'd down to a price.

Having read tales of ineffectual aircon, I'm actually very pleasantly surprised. In these current warm and muggy days it has performed really well and cools so well sometimes that I have to take some chill off using the heater too to moderate, otherwise it's too cold. And that's very much part of the car's analogue charm. I personally wouldn't be without it, living in a northern conurbation with stop-start traffic a lot of the time. I use the car 2-3 days a week, just to keep the LI battery topped up of course ??

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes. If they suit you they are stunning - go for it. I love them just can't do big miles. 

We trailer the car. Originally we drive it but little issues were a big deal when your across the channel (the Elise has been perfect but as we have the trailer...) 

We don't have sound insulation. Don't know what it involves. Back when we ordered it was comfort spec or not they had not split the options out at that time so all or nothing. However we were fine with that as wanted nothing. 

I'd think nothing of a Euro trip in it :)

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Airbags with harnesses?

I have the option to delete the airbags on a factory order and I'm planning to get harnesses fitted. I have a couple questions on this:

I plan to keep the normal seatbelts alongside the harnesses, but is it actually safer to have no airbags if using harnesses? I personally have no safety concerns with deleting the airbags.

I do wonder if it may adversely effect the resale value later on. I wouldn't consider deleting airbags on anything other than the Cup version.

There has been a lot of discussion on this (have a search of the forum). We deleted at factory but also removed the inertia reels. If you do delete them see if you can get the replacement air back cover on the passenger seat branded with the model like the old V6 Cups. I wish I'd done this.

Personally I'd keep the inertia reels for road driving, harnesses are completely unnecessary for such and are very inconvenient at junctions.

Logo on the airbag cover sounds like a good idea, I'll ask about that. Allon White's did this on my Exige, so if the factory aren't willing it can always be added (probably more cheaply!)

Img_1809.jpg

I agree harnesses can be a pain on the road, which is why I'd always want to retain the inertia reel belts as well.

7 hours ago, Neal H said:

Only the front splitter, barge boards and rear diffuser.

perfect!

so the vertical bits on the front splitter and barge boards will be painted?

Great colour choice! So light sensitive it's 100 different shades of green a day. Impossible to get bored of!

:thumbup:

The radio reception on my Cup 250 was really poor. It was looked at under warranty and I was told the aerial cable was not fitted correctly. I now get very good reception everywhere I have been since it was looked  at.  Quite surprised by how good it is.  

• Like 1

On 21.08.2017 at 23:34, Neal H said:

250 Cup now ordered :)

Congrats!!  I have two questions.  Are the 250 cup cars limited? and What is the estimated delivery time? Thanks

Edited by lovus

5 minutes ago, Neal H said:

That's a top tip, thanks :thumbup:

The dealer is adding paint protection film on the front clam for me so I'll get the splitter and rear arch parts done as well.

No problem. Just make sure they use a matte version as the normal glossy version doesn't look very good.

I'm seriously considering going down this route now.  Mrs has signed it off (with a few provisos) and I think it will be perfect for low consumable cost track days.  Will throw as much carbon at it as I can afford and want the two piece brakes too!

• Like 1

Think it's just the disc change. I would have specced the two piece brakes had mine not been a stock car but as yet I've had no reason to complain about the standard items.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Yea not convinced I'd bother. Car stops fine - pushed it yesterday in the sprint and if anything I'd say my pedal's a bit long on a cold start - not used to having to be straight on the brakes first corner without warm up. The pads certainly need changing but run the OEM first to appreciate the change is my philosophy. I'm going to swap out the fluid before next outing. 

I'd be tempted to change the discs if there was a significant weight difference maybe. Not sure if it effects race/sprint classss?