Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exige 380 noise level - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Exige 380 noise level

As it's the same exhaust as the Evora 400, I'd say 110/111 dB @ 5k rpm.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

With that exhaust you can't. One option to consider may be to find a stock Exige V6 exhaust (before the 350/380 models came out). If that fits, I'm sure a V6 owner would swap with you. I would if I had an Exige V6 :D

No, there are noisy days.

Donington this Thursday has a 118db limit.

http://www.goldtrack.co.uk/track-days/donington-park-circuit/august-2017

One of the greatest race tracks in the world. If I was only able to run there, the Nordchleife and Spa I could live with that.

10 minutes ago, Konstantin said:

Just out of curiosity, why would you?

I only drive on twisty roads and love the soundtrack of the Evora 400 and Exige 350/380. Therefore no db restriction :)

51 minutes ago, Konstantin said:

:o ouch! If that's true then, afraid to ask, how do I take it to a track? Pretty much all track days in the UK have noise requirements at < 105 db

http://www.hangar111.com/shop/lotus-exige-v6-exhaust-system/688-exige-evora-s-v6-signature-qt-sports-exhaust.html

Blatant plug :)  But this exhaust is now running on the V6 cars in Lotus Cup UK with good results.

OK, not yet available for 380/400 cars with the larger bore Y-pipe, but coming very soon!

Dave

Edited by Hangar 111

Apparently, hangar111 have a way of almost completely silencing a V6S/350. Unfortunately, this comes at the expense of reducing the power output. They don't have anything for 380 yet, but even if they did, the idea of losing power does not appeal, to say the least.

Also, spoke to a very lovely chap from 2bular http://www.2bular.co.uk/, he reckons they can help reducing the noise to at least below 105db which means I'll be able to take it to circuits like Brands Hatch and Silverstone (bit of a dream of mine). Fingers crossed. Anyone had any experience with them?

I don't mind my issues with the Li-Ion battery (see my long post in the Exige/Elise sub) or the barely passable sound system or the lack of sound deadening in my car. After all, all these issues have the upside of "less weight, more speed", which is exactly what you want from an Exige. But having Nitron adjustable dampers, AP Racing breaks, adaptive suspension, Eibach anti-roll bar, front wing, rear splitters, that massive wing at the back and not being able to take the car to the track (or 99% of them anyway) is a bit of a low blow, almost offensive.

Sorry for the rant, I feel better now :D

It would make all the sense in the world if the factory offered a more efficient, lighter and quieter 'track' exhaust system, especially for the Exige. It doesn't need to be too much quieter, under 100db would change the character of the car considerably. But getting under 105db would make a big difference. I think the after market guys are missing a trick by going for an exhaust that can run at the quietest places. Some ability to add or subtract baffles would be good.

Most Silverstone days operate to 102db drive by, good chance you'll be OK. Failing that, stick it back into 'Tour' mode, learn the lines, use the torque and then let it rip in the last session.

• Like 1

@The Pits Ok, that gives hope :) The bypass valve automatically opens at 4.5k RPM even in Tour mode so I would probably need to learn the location of every microphone around the circuit and take it easy around those points. Not ideal, but I can live with that. A slightly bigger problem is that they still might perform a static test on it (read here: https://www.trackdays.co.uk/tracks/silverstone/). Would be ideal to get it down to just below 105 static, with an aftermarket exhaust. I should have an update on a few weeks

3 hours ago, Konstantin said:

Apparently, hangar111 have a way of almost completely silencing a V6S/350. Unfortunately, this comes at the expense of reducing the power output. They don't have anything for 380 yet, but even if they did, the idea of losing power does not appeal, to say the least.

It really doesn't come at the expense of power - as per the link I posted.  Not sure where you got that idea from, but let's just dispel that myth, here.

I'll be able to take it to circuits like Brands Hatch and Silverstone (bit of a dream of mine)

I have data from MSV at Brands Hatch showing our silencer doing considerably <90dB drive-by (and <98db static) on two different EX460 cars.  We have done three full days on Brands GP circuit without any intervention from the noise police, quite the opposite, actually.

Dave

Edited by Hangar 111

Went to Brands Hatch last night and got the noise level measured. 101-109db between 5k and 6k RPM. The requirement is 105db or less at 5.25k RPM so I'd probably pass on the day but more than likely would be kicked out because of the drive-by tests (92db at 20m). Makes me think I should be OK at Silverstone (105 static, 102 drive-by), which I'm happy-ish with.

Still, will check with Lotus, maybe they can recommend something...

@Hangar 111 any advice?

Went to Brands Hatch last night and got the noise level measured. 101-109db between 5k and 6k RPM. The requirement is 105db or less at 5.25k RPM so I'd probably pass on the day but more than likely would be kicked out because of the drive-by tests (92db at 20m). Makes me think I should be OK at Silverstone (105 static, 102 drive-by), which I'm happy-ish with.

Still, will check with Lotus, maybe they can recommend something...

@Hangar 111 any advice?

That's quite a broad range of static noise level.  According to physics, an increase of 3dB is a doubling of the sound level.  Human hearing perception of sound level generally differs somewhat, but unfortunately when we are talking about track noise, it is judged mainly using a machine, not a human.  I would say that if you are doing 105dB static, you have no chance of doing 92dB drive-by at Brands.  There are some important environmental things to bear in mind when doing a static test - for example on one test we did something crazy like 108dB, then we did it again without the tractor driving past on the track, and it was 98dB...

You may be OK on noisy tracks, but don't underestimate drive-by, static is easy to achieve, drive-by is much more tricky.  You can reduce it by short-shifting, but that's not really the point of being on track!?!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/8/2017 at 22:26, Konstantin said:

NW76 mine's the standard stainless steel exhaust (i.e. the "quiet" one)

Thi guy has a 2bular on the 380 Cup:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXr_9uUntvi/?taken-by=lightluca64

However, as far as I see from other posts, this is not the track friendly exhaust.. so probably even louder than stock. Did you got any info from 2bular about their track-friendly exhaust? 3db less could maybe make the difference as from what you say we should be around 105 at 5250 rpms..