Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Mod the V6S or look for a Cup? - Page 2 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Mod the V6S or look for a Cup?

Gashead1105

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
44 minutes ago, French Frie said:

race pack or not, you should end up to 1,5° of front negative camber ... FYI, I've got -1° and two 1mm shims are remaining (including the one that supports the ABS wire), and 1mm shim is about 0.25°.

Should get more than that with shims out -1.8 - 2.0 neg (assume we are talking on the front)

1 hour ago, Gashead1105 said:

If I can achieve that then I think that means I don't need to do anything on the suspension. 

That's not very exciting is it?! I'll have some Nitrons going spare once I get my Ohlins fitted.

• Like 1

@550superfast: here's what I wrote when I did it : 

just a quick update ... after a new set of tyres, I had the geo done yesterday... just before, I increased the front camber by removing two more 1mm shims each side, leaving only one 1mm shim + the abs bracket on the RS, and one 2mm shim + the abs bracket on the left, aiming to obtain around  -1° of camber .

my toe was off on the front axle, one side with some positive toe (toe in) and the other one with negative one ... the rest was ok,  and I actually achieve to obtain the camber I was looking for 

here are the results : 

Front :

toe out :  -0°03"/-0°03"
camber : -1°02"/-0°57"
caster :  3°18"

Rear : 

toe in : +0°20"/+0°20"
camber : -2°09"/-2°09"

please note that the unit is X°Y", not X,Y°, so the front camber is very near from 1° on each side ... there was originally one more shim on the RS, and I already was said long time ago that is to deal with the driver position (it is on the left side for RHD cars). I removed 4 x 1mm shims on each side, to obtain -1°, from the theorical -0,20° for the Roadster... combined with the corrected toe, the front end seems really more planted on turns, and oddly, the steering feels lighter (it was quite heavy before) ... I only did about 20 miles with it, so hard to be definitive, but I like it !

so, on my car, I assume max camber would be -1.5° with all shims removed (with still one shim on one side to have both side equal) ...

On 9/21/2017 at 11:23, Neal H said:

This. Definitely this.

Yes, it would definitely be a silly thing to do...

Well, I've got my hands on the TVS that is in the classifieds. Not going to be fitted until the spring though. Should get harnesses and geo at same time but everything else is then budget dependent. Chris at hofmann suggested a gear box oil cooler would be sensible and I would still like to get rid of the pre-cats. 

• Like 1

Yeah it's the full kit. I'm going to have hofmann fit it though though so I'm hoping/assuming they will take care of the mapping side of things as well given the cost. 

• Like 1

A bad tradesman always blames the tools. a good tradesman just knows how to use the tools well.

Totally different scale, but my approach to getting better on the track as a newbie is reliability first and safety first, then tuition and practice, then stuff to help me go faster.

So sorted stuff out like toe ends (Spitfire), gearbox oil catcher (to stop oil spewing on to the nearside rear), harness bar, harness, etc.

Done a couple of track days and stayed within sensible limits but had fun.

Invested in a driver skills handling day with Supercar Scotland

Now investing in 1-2-1 on track training with the ARDS/Racing Instructors at Knockhill

Once I am as fast as I can be in the car, then, I fancy supercharger stage 2 (250 bhp in a 860kg car - so about 290bhp per ton) which should compare with an Exige V6s/350.

Would love an Exige Cup though (350, 360, 380 whatever...  all are bloody gorgeous), but would have to be RED!

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Imran, yes I am fully aware of the sensible approach. Have done a load of trackdays over the past 10 years, modified my S2 blah blah blah. I wasn't planning to start with more power but spotted it in the classifieds and thought why not. Brakes are done already, all they needed was a pad change. Harnesses will be fitted when warranty expires in April as will the supercharger itself and probably a baffled sump. I'm genuinely in 2 minds about the suspension I have no issues with a bit of body role on track and I don't want to compromise ride on the road. If I can get enough camber out of the race pack set up for the tyres to work well then I will leave it. Gear box oil cooler might make sense as well although I don't want to butcher the boot lining and not sure if any cutting is needed. 

29 minutes ago, Gashead1105 said:

Imran, yes I am fully aware of the sensible approach. Have done a load of trackdays over the past 10 years, modified my S2 blah blah blah. I wasn't planning to start with more power but spotted it in the classifieds and thought why not. Brakes are done already, all they needed was a pad change. Harnesses will be fitted when warranty expires in April as will the supercharger itself and probably a baffled sump. I'm genuinely in 2 minds about the suspension I have no issues with a bit of body role on track and I don't want to compromise ride on the road. If I can get enough camber out of the race pack set up for the tyres to work well then I will leave it. Gear box oil cooler might make sense as well although I don't want to butcher the boot lining and not sure if any cutting is needed. 

Good stuff... assume you changed the brake fluid to SRF? I'd highly recommend.

Baffled sump is an interesting one as never heard of anyone having a major engine failure by not having one on track. 

Gearbox cooler again I'd hold fire and see how you get on and save your money until you feel you definitely need one.

Standard vs Nitrons I can understand being in two minds if you use your Exige on the road a lot... how many track days you considering doing in the V6 a year?

The Nitrons as you'd expect do make road use a lot stiffer than norm but on track I'd say they are necessary if your doing say one track day or month. 

Oh and I guess tyres! Unsure if it's been mentioned but changing tyres to Trofeo was definitely a 'life changing' moment for me on track :)

www.alias23.com

Yup castrol fluid has been put in each year. The 3yr service deal includes fresh fluid each year so just paid the extra for castrol. 

Baffled sump is a prevention tool for me. Piece of mind if you like. Same with the gear box oil cooler, I have no issues with the box on mine, it's very slick but would like to keep it that way. Will see what the budget allows next April basically. 

I don't do one trackday per month unfortunately. Much less than that. It's used more on the road. For which I know 400hp is unnecessary but I couldn't resist after a ride in Gary's Cup!

Tyres - I'm now on cup 2s. Which is why I need more camber! Massively improved track capability even in current form though, more grip and a lot better braking. 

I honestly do not get the suspension thing, that is clearly one bad thing about the car, I would not tweak anything else before the suspension, geo might improve everything, but to me the car is limited first of all by the suspension ... Power is useless if you have to wait ages mid corner to accelerate because the front axle can't find the grip .. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chumaxa said:

I honestly do not get the suspension thing, that is clearly one bad thing about the car, I would not tweak anything else before the suspension, geo might improve everything, but to me the car is limited first of all by the suspension ... Power is useless if you have to wait ages mid corner to accelerate because the front axle can't find the grip .. 

I'd do ARB before changing suspension personally (having done both)

Lovely post that @Bassman you can feel how much you love your cup.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Good to have you on board Keith. Do we have your car on the V6 Cup register? If not, let me know the number and I'll add it to the register. Missing mine badly, I don't recommend selling. Will's idea of keeping and modifying has a lot going for it!