Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Windscreen Gutter - bolted or glued? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Windscreen Gutter - bolted or glued?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Cheers Derek. that was my hunch from what I could see/feel. I was hoping someone would say that there were some hard to see fasteners that I'd missed. Hey ho

Hi @Mark030358

I've got myself a MagCode 12v connector (like a heavy duty Apple MagSafe) that I'd like to mount to the car to make hooking up the Ctek charger easier. There is a flat section of the gutter, by the windscreen spray nozzle, just large enough to take it, but I'd like the option of replacing the gutter if I bugger it up. The connector needs a 28mm diameter hole with space behind for the terminals. Otherwise, I think I'll need to mount it inside the car, maybe printing a box for it.

@MartynB

What a good idea. I do a 4x4 work rotation, i.e. four weeks away then four weeks off (usually longer away) and I run the cables the usual way, via the boot. Pain in the arse really, especially when closing, so that seems a pretty good way to go.

cheers

Mark

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I've connected my "Comfort Connector" to the jump terminals under the front access panel. The connector runs quite nicely up and into the gutter, well out of the way of the airflow and the wiper. Being rubber (reasonably) water sealed, it's perfectly happy there. However every time I want to plug in I have to go fishing for the rubber loop on the connector, with a hook I made from a zip tie. Not a showstopper, but hardly a slick, quick thing.

These magcode connectors are really clever, because they only connect their poles in the presence of the mating connector's magnetic field. This means they're safe to use for this application, where they'd otherwise pose a risk of shorting if a piece of metal fell against them.

I'm tempted to do this mod and if I decide to remove it, just install a low profile rubber blanking plug in its place.

If I do, I'll post pics etc.