Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
chassis change - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

chassis change

Hi

engine out and found the chassis cracked in the normal place on the top rear tube that goes across the front of the engine taking all the rear suspension loads. Bugger!

I don't think it possible to do a good repair so I am going to bite the bullet and change the chassis. My question is, with the body off,  how long does it take to remove everything from one chassis and bolt it onto the next chassis? I know it depends on how much work I do on all the assemblies before I bolt them onto the new chassis but assuming I do a straight swap. I can then add the time to change all the bushes and recondition the parts to the equation.

thanks

C43

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

with the engine out you can see the weld on one side where someone has tried to repair it, on the other side it is cracked through..

C43

chassis crack.jpeg

• Gold FFM

A professional welder could repair that crack if he is any good. I would ask about first before you go to all that work. Unless you actually want to do a strip down and rebuild. 

Agreed, but to do a decent job the body has to come off and I think I have to unpick the top shear panel. Once I have done that I might as well give the suspension a refresh, and if I am pulling off all the suspension to change the bushes (much easier with body off) I might as well change the chassis, you know how it goes...I intend to keep the car and I know it has suffered a knock on the right front so I want to do a decent job.

• Gold FFM

Well you have answered your own question now then. Go for it and do a full refurb of all the bushes etc while your at it. As other have said, far easier with the body off. Good luck.