Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Replying To Spam - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Replying To Spam

Loteuk

Anyone know how to reply to the spam I get (40 per day) on my email.

Every time I send a reply - typically f*** off - it gets returned. The bird with all the cash tied up in the African mines keeps returning my offers and I feel guilty not handling all that cash for her................. :thumbup:

I have to ask myself - 'do I feel lucky'?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony, as tempting as it may be to vent your frustrations in a suitably worded reply, it's actually better not to :thumbup:. In fact doing so can actually be counter productive.

Firstly, the mere fact you respond authenticates your email address as being live and in use. Your then validated address is then added to yet more lists and passed/sold on to to still more spammers.

Secondly, spammers often use forged/fictitious 'From' addresses. Hence the reason that many replies get bounced back as you describe.

Many ISPs now provide inbuilt spam filters that, if correctly configured, will stop most spam ever reaching your email account in the first place. Otherwise spam protection software is available for the most popular email clients e.g. Outlook/Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Eudora etc - either in-built or as an add-on. There are literally dozens to choose from but Cloudmark is generally considered to be one of the best, although I prefer Mailwasherpro.

Edited by Tentenths

• Gold FFM
Anyone know how to reply to the spam I get (40 per day) on my email.

Every time I send a reply - typically f*** off - it gets returned. The bird with all the cash tied up in the African mines keeps returning my offers and I feel guilty not handling all that cash for her................. :thumbup:

I'm getting same but txt sent to mob phone. (only about 2 per day but still pretty anoying all the same) When I reply saying similar responce as you Tony - same result and gets returned.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

You're not by any chance with Vodafone are you Ian?

If so, they have an anti spam text service - Vspam. Just forward any spam texts to 87726 and Vodafone "try and identify the senders of those unwanted messages take the necessary action to try and prevent that person or company sending such messages to our customers again".

Seems to work very well. I can't even remember when I last received an unsolicited text. It was many months, if not years, ago.

More info here.

Maybe other networks offer similar services?

James

Edited by Tentenths

the only unsolicited text I get are fom vodafone themselves, best bet is dont give anyone your number

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Tony - I've used Cloudmark's Desktop (used to be called SpamNet) for years; it's a plug-in for Outlook or Outlook Express that blocks spam very effectively. The secret to its success is that it checks each incoming email against central SpamNet servers to see if other users have classed it as spam, which means it's got a lightning-fast and near automatic classification of new spam. I'd say 2-5 spams still get through each day, but then I just highlight them and click the 'spam' button, they get deleted and the central servers are updated so others benefit from my good judgement :thumbup:

Well recommended, give it a go with the 30 day free trial, think it's $2 a month after that which is peanuts for the time and hassle it saves :thumbup:

Dan

"He who dies with the most toys wins..."

• Gold FFM
You're not by any chance with Vodafone are you Ian?

If so, they have an anti spam text service - Vspam. Just forward any spam texts to 87726 and Vodafone "try and identify the senders of those unwanted messages take the necessary action to try and prevent that person or company sending such messages to our customers again".

Seems to work very well. I can't even remember when I last received an unsolicited text. It was many months, if not years, ago.

More info here.

Maybe other networks offer similar services?

James

Thanks James. Was with Vodaphone, changed to Orange reciently. Will give them a bell. Like you say, they must have similar.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Tony - I've used Cloudmark's Desktop (used to be called SpamNet) for years; it's a plug-in for Outlook or Outlook Express that blocks spam very effectively. The secret to its success is that it checks each incoming email against central SpamNet servers to see if other users have classed it as spam, which means it's got a lightning-fast and near automatic classification of new spam. I'd say 2-5 spams still get through each day, but then I just highlight them and click the 'spam' button, they get deleted and the central servers are updated so others benefit from my good judgement :welcome:

Well recommended, give it a go with the 30 day free trial, think it's $2 a month after that which is peanuts for the time and hassle it saves :thumbup:

Thanks Dan..........used Cloudmark and all me spam's sin binned.

Its like a graveyard in me inbox now..............just realised how few people mail me :crybaby:

Bank holiday blast in the mota's?

Is any of this spam actually genuine? Not the guy that wants you to help him launder money, but the medications and stock market tips? I tried replying to a few with some colourful language like Loteuk and they all bounced back, so how are you supposed to order their medications? Are they infact there to sell meds or is it all just ficticiuos?

Jason

Land Rover Discovery II & waiting on next Esprit

Is any of this spam actually genuine? Not the guy that wants you to help him launder money, but the medications and stock market tips? I tried replying to a few with some colourful language like Loteuk and they all bounced back, so how are you supposed to order their medications? Are they infact there to sell meds or is it all just ficticiuos?

I reckon its Chinese sweat shop workers pumping out ficticious mails in their spare time for a laugh :rant:

Thought I had it cracked with the new software but they re sneaky..... :wallbash: ....surely they ll get cheesed off in the end.

In laymans terms....ie mine........how do they get inside the drive and see your actions (Trojans)?

Some of the spam seems to emulate of are similar to terms or names I use in my mails.......freaky.....am I paranoid? :unworthy:

best bet is dont give anyone your number

then where is the point in even having a phone?

i get loads of those medical & stock emails as well.... just started randomly about a year ago, after having a good 5 years without a single piece of spam in my email. they are extreamely annoying, but i think trying to reply is a foolhardy venture. just blacklist and move on.

my phone is for me to ring out on when I want to. it is for MY convenience not others

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy