Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Can't select reverse - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Can't select reverse

Jumped in the car just now (2011 S) to go out for an early drive as I have some errands to run and it won't select reverse.

The lift tube seems to have no resistance in it and doesn't spring back down if you pull it up. Anyone else experience this? Likely to be some issue with the lift tube? Spring broken or come adrift?

Bloody annoying but at least it has happened at home.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

have you the standard gear knob if not try and unscrew it half a turn..

i know when i swapped mine for  a polished one from elise parts , if it was screwed on the shaft too far it stopped reverse being selected.. as the lifter did not have enough lift to let the gear go to reverse selection

no idea why yours suddenly wont work but it could be it just got twisted a little so know past that point of being able to lift the lifter fully?

thought id throwt it out there.. you never know..

id unscrew the knob for an inspection anyway.

kr

Andy

Edited by andyj007
  • Like 1

Ta, yep, worth a try. I do have the standard one though. It's the fact there seems to be very little resistance in the lift tube that makes me think something has become detached and that it is definitely at the gear lever end rather than anything more untoward. It happily goes into first. I shall get it back in the garage then do some poking around later this morning

Right, fixed it but it's left me going "Hmmmm".

What was happening was that sprung "tabs"  on the plastic lift tube adapter (part number 35 on the diagram) weren't engaging well enough onto the lift tube itself. The adapter sits inside the lift tube and the tabs stick out slightly above and hook onto the top of the lift tube. So, with these not engaging you could pull the tube up without it actually activating the mechanism.

To be honest it is an amazingly slight connection for what it needs to do.

I have managed to fix it as I had a load of nylon shoulder washers in my bits and bobs box. One of these with the flange machined down a bit then cut along it's length (it was a bit too small to fit round the shaft) was thin enough to slide in between the shaft and the lift tube adapter enough to force the tabs out so that they engage. All seems OK now although I'll take it apart again after a while to check. I fancy a new knob and the MY12 one requires a new lift tube. That won't be a bad plan as there's evidence of someone being in there before such was the slightly chewed thread in the alloy where the knob bolts down onto it.

• Like 1

I've had exactly this happen this weekend on my 2011 S. @Benmac could you help explain to a complete numpty - did you have to take the leather boot out to get at the gubbins or could you get to it simply by unscrewing the gear knob?

Yep, all doable just by removing the knob and lift tube. I've yet to have had time to look at a better solution although I've driven it a fair bit since and all is good.

1. Assuming you have the standard leather knob - Prize the lotus badge off the top.

2. Undo and remove the bolt that is exposed (10mm socket IIRC)

3. Pull top of the knob straight off. Do not twist it, it's keyed to the lift tube. May be a bit stuck but it will. come off. Be careful as this releases the tension on the spring which you can then remove too (side note, if not already there put a very small screw in the top of the spring - it was a service bulletin update to make sure it stays centred)

4. Lower half can now be slid off too revealing the lift tube and you should then be able to see what's going on.

Thanks for the details explanation @Benmac 

For anyone else where the reverse collar is loose and doesn't allow you to select reverse, in my case I noticed that you can feel a ring towards the top of the gearstick through the leather boot. Pull that up in the same was as the revers collar and bingo - reverse is selectable!