Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine sealant? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine sealant?

Hello, i'am currently rebuilding my 1983 turbo engine. So i'am  searching for the  best sealant to do so.

I think Wellseal and Hylomar is 35 year old stuff, so there must be  better stuff now for this job.

Oil pan to lower bearing panel?

Lower bearing panel to block?

Camshaft housing to head?

Cylinder liner to block?

Thanks in advance.

Lotus recommended Permabond A136 in later years for the cam carriers and this is a modern sealant. It would likely be fine for the sump and bearing panel also.

Not sure about liners.

Agree Wellseal and Hylomar are obsolete.

1 hour ago, Andyww said:

Not sure about liners.

Hylomar Gasket 2000 or Rover stuff is good. Loctite anaerobic gasket sealants seem to Harden over time leading to weep and leaks.

Hylomar Blue stuff for the liners wasn't it IIRC???

Talk to Steve at S&J. He has some really great zero thickness sealant....works a treat.

• Confused 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I have to do this soon and I think I read somewhere...

Permabond A1044 which is what SJ sell I believe (double check though) OR Loctite 567

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• 4 years later...
On 10/06/2018 at 14:51, Andyww said:

Lotus recommended Permabond A136 in later years for the cam carriers and this is a modern sealant. It would likely be fine for the sump and bearing panel also.

Not sure about liners.

Agree Wellseal and Hylomar are obsolete.

Hi. I'm in the process doing lots of research and calculation looking at the differential thermal expansion at the liner to block seal interface as well as comparison of sealant properties. I would state that wellseal and hylomar (of which there are many varieties) are definitely NOT obsolete and remain excellent candidates for many places on the 9xx series engines. My focus is of course the liner seal for which the iron liner has the most thermal variation. 

• Like 1

I believe Wellseal cures up rather hard, wouldn't be my choice for the liners. Seems both Hylomar or Loctite 572 have been found effective, though Lotus did later spec the Loctite.