Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Clutch/Transmission Problem - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Clutch/Transmission Problem

Hey all! havea problem..

When my car warms up or get really hot, when putting my car into first gear, It grinds. It only happens with first gear. I don't have this problem when the car is cold.

Does my clutch need to be adjusted? If so, I thought the V8s had an automatically adjusting clutch?

Any help is appreciated.

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.. I will order these parts. Hopefully it will help. That definitely makes sense. It has been very hot where I am at. Heat indexes of about 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

Greetings,

The V8 clutch is NOT adjustable like the 4cly and does not have the red hose.

First...

Change you transmision fluid and have your shif linkage adjusted.

If this does fix problem then clutch is going out.

Make sure the correct tranny fluid is used.. the wrong fluid will alow your tranny to wear out faster.

-Larry

Greetings,

The V8 clutch is NOT adjustable like the 4cly and does not have the red hose.

First...

Change you transmision fluid and have your shif linkage adjusted.

If this does fix problem then clutch is going out.

Make sure the correct tranny fluid is used.. the wrong fluid will alow your tranny to wear out faster.

-Larry

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Larry,

Thanks for this info. I will change my trans fluid and have my shift linkage checked/adjusted. Is there a linkage adjustement section in the manual? If so, which section is it?

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

Ok all,

In terms of transmission fluids. LEW recommends Castrol TAF 75w90. Espritfactfile says that users recommend Redline MT-90. Which is the best fluid from my transmission?

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

REDLINE is hard to beat. Another tranny fluid to take a look at is GM Synchromesh.

That's right. I said GM Synchromesh. In the MR2 world the early Turbo trannys have a problem with 3rd and 4th gear synchros starting to "schunk" when trying to make a quick gear change. Many owners have found that the GM Synchromesh will actually cure this. Many others have found that it will reduce it.

Having said that I have REDLINE 'Heavy' ShockProof ("provide a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low fluid friction as an SAE 75W90") in my personal car. Wonderful stuff. But, gear changes on cold mornings aren't as smooth until the box warms up.

Castrol TAF-X 75W/90 is the only lubricant recomended by lotus.

Read this page:

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/ETechnical/oil.html

Castrol is available from your dealer under part number A082F6552S or you could buy from someone like www.PUKesprit.de.

I've discussed this with Brian Angus - hes well aware that some other brands can offer improvements in shift etc but overall the is nothing that Lotus have tested that offers the overall performance of the TAF-X stuff.

Castrol TAF-X 75W/90 is the only lubricant recomended by lotus. 

Read this page:

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/ETechnical/oil.html

Castrol is available from your dealer under part number A082F6552S or you could buy from someone like www.PUKesprit.de.

I've discussed this with Brian Angus - hes well aware that some other brands can offer improvements in shift etc but overall the is nothing that Lotus have tested that offers the overall performance of the TAF-X stuff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Rob,

I've read that article. I was just wondering, becuase 2 reputable sites have different recommendations. Now, the only problem is is the Castrol TAF-X is not available on the aftermarket in the states (atleast I have not been able to find it). My local dealer has to order EVERYTHING Lotus from Lotus. That is very annoying, so I choose not to deal with them.

Does anyone konw where I can get castrol TAF-X 75w90 in the States on the aftermarket?

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

Greetings,

You can use the redline MT90 or the TAF. The TAF is not avail in the USA.

DONOT use the redline shockproof it will damage the synchros.

So many people just regurgitate what they heard with no real idea about why or what.

Change the fluid often and get the magnet cleaned every so often

-Larry

Add Lightness Motorsports Inc.

Guest teigan
....Now, the only problem is is the Castrol TAF-X is not available on the aftermarket in the states (atleast I have not been able to find it).  My local dealer has to order EVERYTHING Lotus from Lotus.  That is very annoying, so I choose not to deal with them.

Does anyone konw where I can get castrol TAF-X 75w90 in the States on the aftermarket?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i found several mail order auto parts stores which carry it. i recommend getting it from JAE though, as i had one online store shipped me a substitute product without asking first.

Hello chap,

I had the same problem on my V8 gearbox - I panicked first and sweated over my bank balance...THEN changed the gearbox oil (TAF-X) and the problem was cured....just follow the destructions on LEW....(thanks again Kato)

AEG-banner.jpg