Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Converting whp to Bhp - Page 2 - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Converting whp to Bhp

Hussain Alzubaidi

Be wary of the carbon fibre intake tubes.....it can make A/F readings wacky sometimes and even too lean. 

While a carbon intake tube looks sexy,  the outside is very smooth but the inside is quite rough creating a turbulent vs  laminar air flow, which can affect the MAF sensor readings sent to the ECU. 

In turn,  those readings will affect short and long-term fuel trims.

• Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Having the carbon intake will not lower IATs (intake air temperature) in a meaningful way.  Putting a smaller pulley on will only increase your IATs.  The alleged benefit of the larger TVS1900 unit is that to produce the same boost as stock, the TVS 1900 will be spinning slower thereby producing less heat, so IATs will be lower.  If you spin the TVS1900 faster, it will add more heat to intake chargeproduce more heat.  The Lotus ECU adjusts timing (retards it) as IATs go up, in an effort to reduce the chance of detonation and harm to the engine.  Given you high ambient temps, you really need to consider a water-air intercooler, aka charge cooling.  

What I was saying about the "carbon-fibre" intake tube is .... the rough interior will prevent the car's MAF from getting a laminar air flow.  This will then possibly mess up your A/F ratios in a negative way.

• Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Hussain, I have to agree with others here in saying that I would not be dropping the pulley size on the TVS1900, given your high intake air temps and poor quality fuel. 

Charge cooling would be the way to go. If that’s a bit drastic, maybe freeing up the exhaust for reduced back pressure could get you some power gains.

• Like 1

My experience showed it was very fuel quality dependant.

Ran badly on Esso 97. Much better on 99.

what makes you think your custom map is better than the SSC one? If you are running too lean you could have serious problems. 

I imagine ssc run rich for safety 

• Like 1

If you're running a custom map for your car it is pretty much mandatory to have logging software and WBO2 fitted to the car to get to anything useable. Knocking will depend on octane, temperature, altitude and many other things.

AFRs in the charts above are all over the place, also 13.8 just does not make sense as other things being equal no additional power is made from going leaner than 12.7. I'd not bother with dynos and hp, but rather always relate to the actual measured performance of the car going WOT in 3rd or 4th gear in the same stretch of the road in the similar weather conditions repeatedly.

• Like 1

Hi 

Sorry for the late reply 

I was just waiting for the dyno results and I got some explanation about AFR.

The number which shows lean was the highest number which read in the map but on the average it shows 11.9 so no harm for the engine. 

The below is the new chart of the new map after turning the vvti cam and carbon fibre intake with green air filter.

I didn't change the  pulley because I took your information about the hot air which will produce from changing a smaller pulley which make sense.

Thank to you guys for your help and support 20181025_213132.thumb.jpg.e0c699ddb07565dcb05796ab8ef00a6a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone 

I went to a track day today and had good fun but at the end when I was going back home my car gave me the gearbox signal.

The car is just going on one gear which is the second gear and does not change and it's going only 40 kilometres per hour.

I thought it was gearbox over heat but after 4 hours still the same any Idea what could be the problem 

IMG-20181109-WA0039.jpeg

Most probably is the brake switch to be changed. The IPS gearbox have originally fitted the gearbox oil cooler so to overheat it you need a lot of effort. 

I had the same signal once on my car last year and I changed the brake switch that was faulty. 

• Like 1

Post some videos of your track days if you have availables. 

Depends how the switch is faulty. If it is really really gone/damaged the brake switch you can not even change gear from P to D. Anyway if you connect the car with the OBD port you can identify easily the problem. 

I had twice to change the brake switch. The first time I was getting the gearbox light on the dashboard and the second time I was getting all the controls off without the possibility to use the DPM

Edited by FF
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FF said:

Post some videos of your track days if you have availables. 

Depends how the switch is faulty. If it is really really gone/damaged the brake switch you can not even change gear from P to D. Anyway if you connect the car with the OBD port you can identify easily the problem. 

I had twice to change the brake switch. The first time I was getting the gearbox light on the dashboard and the second time I was getting all the controls off without the possibility to use the DPM

• Like 2