Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Elise Cup 250 question on rubber choices, any help useful - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Elise Cup 250 question on rubber choices, any help useful

Hi all, I'm strongly considering buying a Elise in around 6 months and I think it's likely I'll be going for a Cup 250.

While this is a very track focused car I will be using it on the road more often than not (in fact it will be my only car, I just don't have room for two). I've owned a number of VX220/Elise in the past so I'm fairly okay with the idea of it being my only car (I really only need to drive for fun and don't need a car for commute but there are times outside of summer when I'd need or want to drive the car). So with that in mind I was considering what rubber choices I had over the A048 which are great on track but not great in rain or standing water (and honestly on the road I never feel you can get enough heat into them).

The issue I seem to be having is with the size of the fronts on the Cup 250 (195/50 W), it limits choice. I've considered -

• Avon ZZS - good in the dry and as I understand it much better and handing rain and standing water than the A048 but their speed raiting is a V rather than a W (I wouldn't be doing 150mph on the road but I'd rather not drop speed rating, seems like a bad idea)
  • Toyo T1-R - okay in wet and dry (not a big fan personally) and the fronts are again rated at V (rears are W rated)
  • Yoko AD08/07 - I love these and correctly rated but I would need to change the size to 175/55 on the fronts

So the question I have I guess is, is there any issue with running 175/55 on a Cup 250 and will they fit on the 250 Cup rims? Should I just consider a 220 Sport (although I really do want the 250 Cup to be honest)?

I've looked around for the answers but can't find the answer to the above. Thanks for any help!

Edited by HarrierJint

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Yokohama/Advan-A052.htm

I don't think in the front size at the moment.

Otherwise Avon ZZS should be fine.

Also if you can, join the following facebook club, where there is a large post on what tyres to use:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154484104945730/

Edited by PaulLF1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HarrierJint said:

Hi all, I'm strongly considering buying a Elise in around 6 months and I think it's likely I'll be going for a Cup 250.

While this is a very track focused car I will be using it on the road more often than not (in fact it will be my only car, I just don't have room for two). I've owned a number of VX220/Elise in the past so I'm fairly okay with the idea of it being my only car (I really only need to drive for fun and don't need a car for commute but there are times outside of summer when I'd need or want to drive the car). So with that in mind I was considering what rubber choices I had over the A048 which are great on track but not great in rain or standing water (and honestly on the road I never feel you can get enough heat into them).

The issue I seem to be having is with the size of the fronts on the Cup 250 (195/50 W), it limits choice. I've considered -

• Avon ZZS - good in the dry and as I understand it much better and handing rain and standing water than the A048 but their speed raiting is a V rather than a W (I wouldn't be doing 150mph on the road but I'd rather not drop speed rating, seems like a bad idea)
  • Toyo T1-R - okay in wet and dry (not a big fan personally) and the fronts are again rated at V (rears are W rated)
  • Yoko AD08/07 - I love these and correctly rated but I would need to change the size to 175/55 on the fronts

So the question I have I guess is, is there any issue with running 175/55 on a Cup 250 and will they fit on the 250 Cup rims? Should I just consider a 220 Sport (although I really do want the 250 Cup to be honest)?

I've looked around for the answers but can't find the answer to the above. Thanks for any help!

If you are buying a new Cup 250s they now come fitted with AO52s, AO48s no longer in production.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PaulLF1 said:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Yokohama/Advan-A052.htm

I don't think in the front size at the moment.

Otherwise Avon ZZS should be fine.

Also if you can, join the following facebook club, where there is a large post on what tyres to use:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154484104945730/

Thanks Paul, that's great.

6 minutes ago, scotty435 said:

If you are buying a new Cup 250s they now come fitted with AO52s, AO48s no longer in production.

Good to know, will likely buy 2nd hand though. Unless I let myself get tempted by the 50/50 finance offers.

Edited by HarrierJint
  • Like 1

If it’s a track car used on the road I’d go r888r - or zzr/s if you prefer.

if a road car used on the track AD08R.

i think the AD08R is s 205 front as per Elise 260 Cup. That runs a 235 rear but also read about people going 225 rear when buying tyres themselves.

Some of the road cars come with 175 front (220 sport / 220 cup on standard alloys)  but if you’re doing track work I’d aim for the 195 front (or 205 in AD08).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/10/2018 at 23:51, Five50 said:

If it’s a track car used on the road I’d go r888r - or zzr/s if you prefer.

if a road car used on the track AD08R.

i think the AD08R is s 205 front as per Elise 260 Cup. That runs a 235 rear but also read about people going 225 rear when buying tyres themselves.

Some of the road cars come with 175 front (220 sport / 220 cup on standard alloys)  but if you’re doing track work I’d aim for the 195 front (or 205 in AD08).

Test drove a Cup 250 today actually (pretty sure it had AD08R on), the rain hammered it down at Silverstone Lotus with standing water everywhere and was surprised just how well the car stuck to the road. The heavens literally opened and the car was like "meh I don't even care".

• Like 1