Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
LED headlights.. - Page 4 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

LED headlights..

@Paul_Djust bought some Phillips bulbs like yours. Which way is the best orientation? I guess the blade should be vertical, so light is spread over a wide pattern, but they have the LEDs either side of a circuit board that’s visible through a notch in the side of the plastic case. I’m not sure if the notch should point up, or down. 

@Brendonian

Yep, the blade just needs to be as vertical as possible so the leds are facing left/right rather than up/down. 

As far as I’m aware the leds are perfectly central, so it doesn’t matter which side is ‘top’, if that  makes sense. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone!

Came back from a track day, it was late and raining. Totally agree with that the stock headlights need to be upgraded.

Could I please get a few pointers before I commit to trying to give this a go myself.

Just reviewing this topic and watching a few YouTube Videos - thank you!

* Does any HB3 bulb work?

I saw @Paul_D and few other people use the Philips https://www.amazon.com.au/Philips-Ultinon-Pro9000-Headlight-Bulb/dp/B08N56NL1M/ref=sr_1_1?crid=227XI3TQ1X8ZQ&keywords=philips%2Bhb3%2Bpro&qid=1650176703&sprefix=philips%2Bhb3%2Bpro%2Caps%2C290&sr=8-1&th=1#customerReviews

Would any others work too? I see these ones with alot of positive reviews.

https://www.amazon.com.au/BEAMTECH-Headlight-8000Lumens-Extremely-Conversion/dp/B06XHD4HV3/ref=sr_1_12?crid=39UE1FZSHBMKA&keywords=hb3+led&qid=1650177155&sprefix=hb3+le%2Caps%2C270&sr=8-12

https://www.amazon.com.au/Fahren-9005-HB3-H10-Headlights/dp/B07NPMMNR3/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2FQK7UWWHMIAX&keywords=hb3&qid=1650176045&sprefix=hb3%2Caps%2C249&sr=8-10

https://www.amazon.com.au/AUXITO-Upgraded-Headlight-Brighter-Headlamp/dp/B09STGM7KV/ref=sr_1_19?crid=2FQK7UWWHMIAX&keywords=hb3&qid=1650177035&sprefix=hb3%2Caps%2C249&sr=8-19

* Do they need to have a controller or decoder to avoid errors?

* Need to purchase a new dust caps? About 85mm?

* Is recommended to change the Hi Beam too?

With the install 

* Should I remove the front wheels for easier panel access?

* Should the car be jacked up?

* Does the car battery need to be undone?

* The bulb needs to be aligned to an straight angle at 3 and 9 o'çlock? 

* Are they just a simple plug and play?

* The new Dust caps just goes enclose on top of the new LED?

* Any additional tools I would need?

Appreciate all the pointers and any feedback is welcomed if I'm completely wrong. Thanks. 🙂

Cheers,

JT

Bibs
This post was recognized by Bibs!

Paul_D was awarded the badge 'Great Support'

@lotus_exig3

The Philips ones don't have any external boxes or controllers. And no error codes. I'm not sure about other ones you've mentioned.

Yes, 85mm. Like these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203635542633?epid=2185819412&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2f699fca69:g:OpQAAOSwxk5iRYH-&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAAA8CQlwOIiNuimTQ1W0QD2MwFsLqbK%2B23VWccm7vhf5vXZGX%2F0sV69%2BO5nB4UM1sDx76M%2Fuw%2Bw%2FPbbuREh5IygElkMkYo%2BUbqs5P558GGgNfsHMyTPzB4Z08RMIssDlWB%2BlDzp4K16CaGbHMO9xR3uFDhLXy5ZCKcEIUJIAWKbRVbU9O6iGm6qxQrEV9TI5ClQsMTaZd9QmXuLJWgTP%2BBoqex50oXe2%2BoFZQWb3mvT9WK04Ba%2B2U8iyw9f4pW%2FbmkwaQgcDzw89k5fC1GUxrIbNhDHPVvbBSK%2FsvDV%2BxYv4iOJlaYZtrFvxMhYu0DJCRGGLA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBM3KP58oZg

That's personal preference. I didn't bother. The main beam is a different type of light (reflector type) so I don't know how well the LED would work in that. 

With the install 

I did, yes. It just made life easier.

You could see what access is like by just jacking up and turning the wheel. If it's still difficult, then just take the wheel off.

No. You'll just be unplugging the connector. 

The bulb should be aligned so that the light comes out of it at 6 and 9. i.e. light goes out sideways, not up and down. 

Yes, except for the fact that I needed to adjust the bulb so that it was aligned as above. It's designed to do this. There are instructions with it.

Yes.

No, I don't think so.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just like to thank everyone for all the posts in this thread, I changed my bulbs tonight and its made a big difference. Haven't had a chance to test on the road yet but it certainly looks the business in the garage!

20220520_194454.jpg

20220520_195045.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Luan. By the way, congratulations on your new FE.

Can you confirm, just plug and play the Ultinon LED's and no cutting of the caps?

Have you had a chance to test the lights out on a drive yet, might be something you can review on your YouTube channel perhaps?

Thanks! You need to buy the 85mm rubber caps from Ebay, no cutting or modding needed if you buy the ones suggested from this thread.

Its much better than the stock lights but still not amazing to be honest. The main thing I wanted was just to have not so yellow headlights. You can see the light pattern above on the flat and its definitely an improvement.

I have a video planned to show the install process and results, just too busy enjoying the car at the moment and not enough time to edit and upload the videos but they'll come soon haha

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/04/2022 at 16:35, lotus_exig3 said:

Hi Everyone!

Came back from a track day, it was late and raining. Totally agree with that the stock headlights need to be upgraded.

Could I please get a few pointers before I commit to trying to give this a go myself.

Just reviewing this topic and watching a few YouTube Videos - thank you!

* Does any HB3 bulb work?

I saw @Paul_D and few other people use the Philips https://www.amazon.com.au/Philips-Ultinon-Pro9000-Headlight-Bulb/dp/B08N56NL1M/ref=sr_1_1?crid=227XI3TQ1X8ZQ&keywords=philips%2Bhb3%2Bpro&qid=1650176703&sprefix=philips%2Bhb3%2Bpro%2Caps%2C290&sr=8-1&th=1#customerReviews

Would any others work too? I see these ones with alot of positive reviews.

https://www.amazon.com.au/BEAMTECH-Headlight-8000Lumens-Extremely-Conversion/dp/B06XHD4HV3/ref=sr_1_12?crid=39UE1FZSHBMKA&keywords=hb3+led&qid=1650177155&sprefix=hb3+le%2Caps%2C270&sr=8-12

https://www.amazon.com.au/Fahren-9005-HB3-H10-Headlights/dp/B07NPMMNR3/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2FQK7UWWHMIAX&keywords=hb3&qid=1650176045&sprefix=hb3%2Caps%2C249&sr=8-10

https://www.amazon.com.au/AUXITO-Upgraded-Headlight-Brighter-Headlamp/dp/B09STGM7KV/ref=sr_1_19?crid=2FQK7UWWHMIAX&keywords=hb3&qid=1650177035&sprefix=hb3%2Caps%2C249&sr=8-19

With the install 

Appreciate all the pointers and any feedback is welcomed if I'm completely wrong. Thanks. 🙂

Cheers,

JT

Which bulbs did you end up buying if I may ask?

2 minutes ago, XHXHX said:

Which bulbs did you end up buying if I may ask?

Edit: ops that wasn't even aimed at me sorry 😆

The Philips ones from ABD https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/hb3-hb4-philips-ultinon-pro9000-led-headlights-pair.html

Edited by lueysgarage
  • Like 1

@XHXHX I ended up purchasing the bulbs from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B06XHD4HV3/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It got many positive reviews online, so I gave it a shot. The bulb clicked in nicely, without any adjustments.

The bulb seemed to align evenly went was lit on up against the wall. However haven't chance to drive the car at night to test it.

Taking the car out tomorrow night, so should able to let you know afterwards. 

• Like 2

Can someone with LED lights fitted (preferbly with the Philips LED bulbs) check for me if you have the ignition on but the engine is off, does your front left blinker not work properly? Like the indicator ticks really fast and there's no front left indicator light?

For some reason mine is doing that but its fine when the engine is on, indicators work perfectly? Not 100% sure if its because of the LED bulbs though?

LET light bulbs need a different flasher as they only draw 1/20th the power of a incandescent bulb and can't function normally without a LED flasher. If you change only the front and leave the originals in the back it will work fine but they won't work properly if you change all of them without a new LED flasher.

atb,

Richard

Thanks for the quick reply, I've got a Final Edition Exige so the front indicator is already an array of LEDs so I'm not sure if your response is relevant?

Just to be clear I've only changed the halogen driving light bulbs to the Philips LEDs, and the rear license plate bulbs to local Narva LEDs. I haven't touched any of the indicators

5 hours ago, lueysgarage said:

Can someone with LED lights fitted (preferbly with the Philips LED bulbs) check for me if you have the ignition on but the engine is off, does your front left blinker not work properly? Like the indicator ticks really fast and there's no front left indicator light?

For some reason mine is doing that but its fine when the engine is on, indicators work perfectly? Not 100% sure if its because of the LED bulbs though?

I really don’t think your LEDs should affect the flashing. ESPECIALLY whilst the headlamps are switched off. 

5 hours ago, lueysgarage said:

That's a very strange thing to happen. In my head I can't really understand what could possibly cause that. I certainly don't see how the headlamps could affect it. Is it only the left side?

I could try the same on my car for you when I get home, but as I have the GRP lights with ballast resistors my overall circuit load will be slightly different to yours.