Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
LED headlights.. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

LED headlights..

Hi all 

After some drives at night, it’s come to my attention that the headlights are terrible.... 

I was wondering if there is an LED headlight upgrade that people would recommend, or a good HID kit,

Many thanks

Kames 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread here but better than starting a new one I guess:)

Lights are definitely not where these cars excel so anyone using a good quality LED bulb? I'd rather not use HIDs assuming of course there is space to accommodate the bulky housing of an LED bulb.

Thanks.

I've had a massive improvement in the beams on my S3 having fitted LEDs headlamp bulbs from Classic Car LEDs. @Chillidoggy recommended them as a supplier on his restoration thread when he upgraded the bulbs on his S4s. Both of us went for the warm white bulbs so the light is a similar temperature to that produced by a halogen bulb. They do the Ice white bulbs as well. You can get cheaper bulbs on eBay etc but the bulbs Duncan supplies are the very best quality and on dipped beam give a very sharp cut off which exactly matches that of a conventional bulb, something that cheaper bulbs often can't do. The bulbs are a straight swap and similar in length to conventional bulbs but you may need to check where and how you'll fit the little ballast box that's inline between the old and new connectors.

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

@GazzyFizzle  Can't see an image or link I'm afraid but this is a link to the H4 bulbs I bought

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/pair-of-warm-white-led-headlights-h4-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v-excellent-beam-pattern?variant=8239029715039

Each light pod on my Esprit has a H4 bulb for the main/dip lamp and a H1 bulb in the other which comes on for main beam only. Each bulb comes with lead with a little IC box part way down,  and I fixed both  little IC boxes inside the light pod using the double sided adhesive tape that is used to attach number plates, one on each side of the pod . I didn't need to buy the extension lead. I have no idea what bulbs are needed for an Exige and how you might fit those IC boxes but  Duncan at Classic Car LEDs is really helpful so I suggest you give him a call

• Like 1

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

@Choppa thanks for the reply mate, appreciate it. I'm certainly not looking to get any cheap ones from Ebay (pay cheap pay twice and all that) but with the fitment being so rare (HB3 - damn you Lotus!) there doesn't seem to be a big selection of products out there. I had a look on the website you mentioned and I could only find this;

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/12-volt-collection/hb3

which seem to be different to the ones you used.

@nordschleife666 thanks for the links however they are not currently available for posting to the UK by the looks of it. I'll keep an eye on it though as I'm not in a rush - am I right to think that you fitted these on your car? Any feedback?

Cheers

17 hours ago, MrD said:

@Choppa thanks for the reply mate, appreciate it. I'm certainly not looking to get any cheap ones from Ebay (pay cheap pay twice and all that) but with the fitment being so rare (HB3 - damn you Lotus!) there doesn't seem to be a big selection of products out there. I had a look on the website you mentioned and I could only find this;

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/12-volt-collection/hb3

which seem to be different to the ones you used.

@nordschleife666 thanks for the links however they are not currently available for posting to the UK by the looks of it. I'll keep an eye on it though as I'm not in a rush - am I right to think that you fitted these on your car? Any feedback?

Cheers

I have it with me put haven't put them on yet as I have sold my Elise and still thinking of which Lotus to buy next.  By looking at the finishing, they are very good quality,  I bought it in Japan. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@nordschleife666thanks. So I take it HB3 will be fine instead of HB3A as I only find HB3 (9005) in LED? I think 6k white would be good choice probably. 

I've seen some great value on Aliexpres, not a real waste of money if it doesn't deliver like:

€ 4,78 43%OFF | Muxall 2Pcs Led 12000LM/Paar Mini Auto Koplampen H1 H7 H8 H9 H11 Koplampen Kit 9005 HB3 9006 HB4 Auto Lampen 4300K 8000K https://a.aliexpress.com/_BOXv4X

I got them out of the UAE through Lotus, they have a workshop they are using. Unfortunately they want to keep their things exclusive to the region and keep it in small qty, as I am often there they made an exception supplying me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I just picked up a 2017 350 sport. Lovely car but absolutely terrible headlights. 
After collecting it on a damp winter night I decided immediately that something needed to be done about the lack of visibility from the stock bulbs.

Has someone found a xenon HID lighting kit   Or LEDs that fits easily and works well on the S3 Exige? Reading these threads I can’t see anything where people are claiming they happy with their attempts at a solution.

James 

• 3 weeks later...