Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Loxus Eclat V8 - Page 3 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Loxus Eclat V8

56 minutes ago, Nickp1 said:

Yes I believe it does. I'm looking to use the original Lotus mounting point on the chassis but fabricate my own trailing arm to triangulate it all.

So, pretty much a tubular replacement for the Lotus arm? The original pressed-steel Jag arm (as I recall), was inline, which I thought was strange given the arc it would describe, but then I guess Jag chassis men knew way more than I did. I think the forward Metalastik bushes used to wear quickly, though.

I’m intrigued now, so going to see if I can find some old photos of my old chassis.

Margate Exotics.

Yeah tubular or box section with a poly top hat bush either end I reckon. The trailing arm shouldn't have any effect on the suspension arc with the jag stuff, its just there to add strength to the bottom arm through triangulation. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some steady progress on getting the Jag diff mounted into the chassis this week. I've made a top plate from 3mm steel and managed to bolt the diff into position to check prop alignment etc. I've cut away just enough chassis to get it into position but will need to remove more to allow room for the inboard discs and calipers. Before I do this I intend to strengthen the chassis by welding in 1" box section along the length of the rear section then add several brace pieces to triangulate it all. Once happy with the top I'll flip the chassis to make a frame to tie the original mounting points into the base of the Jag diff. Unfortunately there wasn't really a way to rubber / poly mount the diff so the whole thing will be solidly mounted, as it is in my kit car and many TVRs apparently.

78042946_552978492204627_6704052797794418688_n.jpg

78913902_437707453806812_1100235480089231360_n.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Not if I can help it. They used 2 calipers with a seperate hand brake one. Some VAGs (Mk5 Golf) use a very similar sized disc 260 x 12mm. If I can devise a mount to get it on there then it'll be much simpler / lighter / cheaper. But yes they'll stiil be inboard 😀

Here is a pic of the tubular trailing arms that Spyder used to make for Elite's and Eclats. Might be a helpful reference. (Spyder lost the dimensions years ago and cant make them any more - they are very heavy compared with the lotus box steel ones).

Spyder trailing arms.JPG

• Like 1

For Jag or Lotus rear end?

Lotus I'd guess. The Jag setup works the opposite way to the Lotus. The Jags bottom arm controls wheel alignment and is very substantial. The trailing arm is only there to add support through triangulation.

Cheers, I've done a few calculations on spring rates and travel for the rear ones but not the fronts as yet. I'm going full coilovers all round and they will be harder/ shorter springs but not by a massive amount.

• 3 weeks later...

Tacked the rear part of the 'diff cage' in place before the chassis goes off for blasting at the weekend-

Added some strengthening to chassis. Was going to do it internally but suspect it would stop me from fitting the Jag brakes so did it above. Collecting some XJS brakes off a mate this week too.

83353673_1529915600489802_7015310744182849536_n.jpg

84249948_178696120112147_5199201136082419712_n.jpg

84381818_186954649087671_2151785324034916352_n.jpg

• Like 1

I looked at putting a Jag rear end in my Elite many years ago. I even shoved one up in place to see just what needed to be done and concluded it was just to difficult a job that I didn't want to do and figured out there must be another rear end that would fit. 
And all your work just shows how difficult it would have been. Yours looks very well done and some great fabrication is evident but certainly a lot of work.

Great job undertaking a much needed improvement IMHO!

The other reason I didn't proceed with the Jag rear end is that it is some 30 lbs heavier as I remember it, but certainly much more robust and would not be over stressed in a much lighter Elite. And of course having the disc brakes is a huge benefit as far as I am concerned and getting rid of problem of rear end grease leaking past the seals onto the rear brake shoes. Mine were totally soaked in only 28,000 miles, making the rear brakes totally ineffective.

Not matter what rear end one wants, to replace the original forklift rear end of the Elite, will take a bunch of clever well designed effort like you have to done here. Great looking and well done Nick !

Actually, it is easier now, to find one, than ever before because of most cars including almost every SUV have independent rear ends. AdvanTEK made by Dana, has many to pick from and these have aluminum housings and are much lighter, smaller in size and computer designed with a limited slip locking rear end. These are much more efficient in transferring power but of course would be quite a bit more expensive than the Jag unit.

https://spicerparts.com/parts/axle/automotive/advantek-axles

cheers,

Richard

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement Richard, they're much needed mate 😉

Fitting the Jag rear end to any of these Lotus's is not for the faint hearted, as I'm finding out, but I still think it was the best solution for me and my car. The Jag diff/ brakes is roughly the same weight as the Lotus 'half axle'. However the shafts and lower arms etc are beefier on the Jag, but they need to be tbh to take the added power / torque of the V8.

I did consider using a BMW 1 series rear subframe but this would've meant cutting the rear of the Lotus chassis at the end of the tunnel and starting from scratch. Lots of the body would've needed chopping away too, something I wasn't prepared to do, just too many unknowns and variables to consider. At least with the Jag setup it is essentially the same as the Lotus in principle and I should be able to pull it off with little or no body mods.

The problem that I'm finding with modifying one of these Lotus's is that the engine / gearbox / diff can only go in one place due to the limitations of the propshaft tunnel. In a 'normal' car you'd have more leeway for the prop to move up/down or side/side.

As much internal strengthening added to the front crossmember as would physically fit, 2 x heavy duty channeling and 1 x 1" box section cos that's what fitted snugly in there. All zinc primered before getting boxed back in. How strong is it? Stronger or weaker than std?  Who knows? But it is what it is 😉

86373022_836134960201147_4026059595460902912_n.jpg

86500656_1626770870810428_1487716833850032128_n.jpg

86395686_631469807602319_8957189085043097600_n.jpg

When Spyder used refurbish standard chassis they used to add a strengthening piece under the front cross-member - it was curved - like a section of pipe welded along the entire width of the cross-member.

Great work on the diff etc..  I put an LS1 in my trackday Excel a few years ago - 490hp at the flywheel!  I used a BTR hydratrak diff in that, but you need CV's with it.

Pete

• Like 1