Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
One Thing After Another! - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

One Thing After Another!

Hey Guys,

Well I have been working getting the car finished today, and OF COURSE, I cannot finish this SOB without one more problem popping up. I managed to strip the shoddy tranny fill plug, so I attempted to get at it with a set of vice grips. Now it is just a mangled, semi-rounded mess.

Anyone have any ideas of how I can get this stupid plug out? I did a quick search and someone mentioned welding a larger nut to the remaining bit, however, I do not have any welding equipment, so i am not sure how viable that option is at this point. I keep trying to tell myself I love this car, but its really starting to chap my ass lately! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

-Erik E.

1994 Esprit S4

Edited by Callaway

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear Erik, I do know how you feel - I've been down the path many a times when working on the cars and it's always the most stupidest of things that make you angry.

Shouldn't be anywhere near that tight, some people think swinging on them when doing them up makes it better for some reasons - I know my SE was rock solid before getting it off.

Welding to it might help - just drive the car somewhere where you can do that job.

Once you've mullered the stud it'll be hard to hold the post sticking out so it might be worth a go.

Anything else you might do to it will limit the chances of getting a weld on there so I'd be tempted to leave it and go for that.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

You might take a trip to Sears and see if one of those hex head bolt extractors might work called "Bolt-Out" and come in a red plastic case....they are specifically for rounded off bolts. Figure out what size socket max. will fit and buy the appropriate kit. I believe they come with 4 sockets for varying sizes....

good luck my man.. when i stripped the drain plug last fall I spend 10 hours welding, vice gripping, chiseling.. and if that plug wasnt 100% seized then it most certainly is now. My advice take it to a pro.. i tried everything you can imagine but there is just no way to get enough grip on a shredded nubbin and generate the kind of torque you would need to break a siezed plug free. The best solution would be to tap and helicoil the hole but you would have to drop the tranny and probably split the case to do this safely.

Well over fathers day my dad handed me that bolt remover set from sears, still no dice. To make matters worse the damn transmission mount is right in the way of me getting it on there straight, and it makes it hard to work around.

Is it possible to fill up the case with oil any other way? I have the exact amount of oil that goes in, so overfilling it would not be an issue. Someone suggested trying the reverse selector switch port, however I unscrewed it and there is something blocking the hole. I'm not sure if this is moved out of the way when reverse is selected, I tried to select reverse however the linkage needs adjusting, so I am not able to find reverse at the moment.

Anyone got any other ideas? I'm really trying to avoid having to pull the damn tranny again, I just got it all back together! Thanks for the responses everyone!

-Erik E.

1994 Esprit S4

As mentioned previously you can try a multi hex tool or you might be able to find a small opposite lock socket like the locking wheel nut removal tool...... if not then note business opportunity and niche in the market.........

One method I have found that can give good results, is pop to your hardware store a get some metal putty.

Method

Put some aluminum foil at the base of the bolt as a mask. just cut a square about 6 times the size of the area of the wrench. Cover the back of the foil with a light layer prit stick make a hole roughly the size of the bolt and place over the area around the bolt.

Mold a shape that you can sit around the bolt to rebuild it, this can be a rough semblance..... Find a wrench you dont need and place it over the putty so it fills the inside of the wrench and build over the top and side to incorporate the wrench. Simply leave to dry for the recomended time, when set you should be able to get more grip. Shame to waste a wrench but better than lots of pulled muscle's and scrapped/cut knuckles from where you slipped.

You could also try freeze an release. Does work but you need to have a good bolt head

Anyone who is familiar with the renault tranny know if it would be actually possible to fill the tranny with oil through the reverse light switch port, once the reverse gear has been selected? I can feel that something is in the way when putting my pinky finger down into the hole while the car is in neutral. I'm still working on getting the linkage right so that I can shift into reverse and see if it slides out of the way. I have the exact amount of fluid that the tranny takes, so overfilling would not be a concern. Thanks!

-Erik E.

1994 Esprit S4

Hi

If head is still good condition I used scoket wench 3/8" (not sure ) extension bar was just fit in and then I truned

the drain bolt !

I hope til will help !

Good luck !

Y.Hotta