Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of the Evora in the USA - Page 15 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of the Evora in the USA

Ccd

@NC25T

Thanks for the compliment.  I have to pinch myself every time that I walk into the garage.  I have 2 small children so the Evora wins over the C8.  I can take my kids for a ride! It's a very practical family car. A real family truckster as such! As in the famous words of Clark Griswold "Looks Kids, Big Ben!"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NC25T said:

Wouldn’t different alignment specs, springs/shocks and tires result in a big difference in feel between the 400 and GT?

I posted alignment specs somewhere Bucket 1 is the 400 & GT410 Sport (Touring Pk); Bucket 2 is the Sport 410, GT410, GT430 Sport & GT; Bucket 3 GT430, GT430 Sport (Race pk).  Bucket 1 through 3 have progressively more camber, Bucket 2 has same suspension parts/springs as B1 except for a higher shock damping rate and lower spring perch, while B3 has the Ohlins shocks/springs set up.

Ken2020 - wow... stunning car!  

Ken2020:

Virtually no Vettes will go out the door for $60,000, but the starting price suggests that a well-optioned Vette could be around $80,000 which would still be far less than the Evora.  The Evora will not be able to go head to head with the C8 on price.  However, the C8 is a pretty big car.  The Evora is a much smaller car and is available with a manual.  It also has a FAR less busy interior.  

Lotus will have to emphasize the differences from the C8 which are many

• Like 1

Yeah people really need to stop quoting the $60k price. Its bottom of the barrel no options. No dealer will bother selling a completely base C8. You would probably have to order it from the factory to get one, that will be mostly rental car companies. My guess is a modestly optioned C8 will be at least $75k, if not $80k. Still great bang for your buck and still going to beat an Evora in most aspects. Honestly though, the Evora may be the sports car least affected in its price class. Most people shopping for an Evora want an Evora. I am more interested in seeing how it affects some used super cars in the $80k - $130k price range like the R8 V10.

Edited by Likuid
  • Like 2

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

The Grand Sport will be the enthusiast's trim if the C7 is anything to go by.  My spec for the  C7 GS was just shy of $80K. Obviously I went with the Lotus but I really liked the Vette.   This time, say it's $85K for a righteous  C8 vs. well, whatever  really.  

Regarding the GT, once they stray above about $105K MSRP I have to compare with what I paid for my 400 and I end up back  in the 400 every time.  We're all different with different notions of what constitutes a noticeable or significant difference and for me, the GT , nice as it is, much as I envy it, doesn't compel me to change.  The Corvette could, given time.  

• Like 1

'17 Evora 400 MT 

The C8 doesn't come in manual. It's completely out of my scope now because of that alone - not even an option. If you want a brand new mid/rear-engine car with a stick there's this, the Cayman, and the 911. And if you want one with more than 4 cylinders, which of course you do because no one wants to spend more than $50k for a 4 cylinder, the Evora GT is the least expensive option. 

Plus, like Ken said, if you're interested in the GT, you're probably not considering a C8 regardless of your transmission preference. They really are completely different buyers. 

Liquid:

The impact of the C8 on used supercar prices will be interesting.  The NSX is likely to feel the biggest impact has it has the smallest dedicated customer base.  Next on the hit list, IMHO, would be the R8.  Both cars are considered the supercars you could drive everyday and the C8 appears to be a better daily proposition than either of them for half the price.

Except that out the door pricing with typical options & markups is closer to $100k and 2010 production is almost sold out.  As to the NSX, sales are dismal, however those that were going to purchase will still purchase as they were not in the market for what the corvette offers anyways, the one that will be hurt the most is Lotus as 1/2 the customers were not solely after the Lotus feel and the Corvette offers much for about 15-25k less.

40 minutes ago, Julian73 said:

... the one that will be hurt the most is Lotus as 1/2 the customers were not solely after the Lotus feel and the Corvette offers much for about 15-25k less.

I don't remember this survey, can you link to your results?

As to the NSX, sales are dismal, however those that were going to purchase will still purchase as they were not in the market for what the corvette offers anyways

You could say the exact same thing about the Evora, the huge difference being that the Evora is a 10 year old car that's at the end of its life and the NSX is what? 2-3 years old? The reality is many new Evora GTs will most likely be bought by existing Lotus owners. Its pretty much the end of the line for the Evora anyways and its not like Lotus just shipped 5000 new Evora GTs out.  So it doesn't really hurt Lotus all that much. It would be a much worse scenario if Lotus just launched the Evora and days later it already got trumped easily by the C8. Lotus is actually in a pretty good position right now. They are working on a new line-up of cars and running out the current line-up. The C8 will be out soon, so they know what the competition is way before releasing their new cars. It would have been way worse if Lotus just released a new $180k Esprit and the C8 was 80% or 90% of that car. Or a new Evora-like car for $120k, to find out the C8 beats it in almost every category.

That's not the say the C8 won't affect Lotus. It will affect almost every sports car (new and used)  within a $100k price window to some degree. I agree with @Ccdthe R8 & NSX look way less appealing now. I have to imagine the used R8 and NSX prices are going to take major hit over the next year as well.

Edited by Likuid

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

11 hours ago, Likuid said:

It would be a much worse scenario if Lotus just launched the Evora and days later it already got trumped easily by the C8. Lotus is actually in a pretty good position right now. They are working on a new line-up of cars and running out the current line-up. The C8 will be out soon, so they know what the competition is way before releasing their new cars. It would have been way worse if Lotus just released a new $180k Esprit and the C8 was 80% or 90% of that car. Or a new Evora-like car for $120k, to find out the C8 beats it in almost every category.

Agreed.

I could own a Corvette. I could live with the DC if it's as good as they say it is but I'd  wait a year or three  for clarity and the sporting spec, which is not to say I will buy one.  The Evora was old when I bought mine . It was a reason not to buy it, but also a reason to buy it.  Its virtues are lovable and in large part  based on the relative simplicity while its flaws are acceptable.  Anyway, twilight for the Evora.  

I hope they will support our cars.  I think I am going to make that my new signature line.

• Like 1

'17 Evora 400 MT 

On 30/07/2019 at 09:10, Likuid said:

I don't remember this survey, can you link to your results?

Yes a survey performed by JFB Consulting contacting random Evora owners found in parking lots that are not Forum members. "Car purchased for its looks .. I don't really know much about it"

Reflecting on LOTUS’s history they have been in a similar situation, when the original Elan was not very old the E type appeared for 2/3rds the money. The Elan still survived , bought by a different demographic. The US market isn’t the future  that it once was where as China is, note the EVIJA isn’t available in RHD or the US, says something.

Pondering over this maybe Lotus shouldn’t worry to much about the C8 but Porsche and AUDI definitely should.

TBF the Elan barely survived. It was only the marketing men suggesting the 'gold leaf' paint job and the extra bhp of the modified head that got the cars selling. Stories of dealers being a tad fed up and sending their non gold leaf stock back to the factory for 'upgrading' were legion.

Cost has always been a negative for Lotus against contemporaries. 

7 hours ago, Bruss said:

"Random Evora owners parked in parking lots"

Did they find both of them?

5 hours ago, au-yt said:

Reflecting on LOTUS’s history they have been in a similar situation, when the original Elan was not very old the E type appeared for 2/3rds the money. The Elan still survived , bought by a different demographic. The US market isn’t the future  that it once was where as China is, note the EVIJA isn’t available in RHD or the US, says something.

Pondering over this maybe Lotus shouldn’t worry to much about the C8 but Porsche and AUDI definitely should.

They are selling the Evija over here under our 'Show and Display' laws available for certain cars of "historical or technological significance".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Julian73 said:

They are selling the Evija over here under our 'Show and Display' laws available for certain cars of "historical or technological significance".

Excellent News for the US , even though the EVIJA is LHD only they can use a similar law in Australia, and it will be interesting to see if any one forks out the AUD $4.5mil

9 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

I think the single All Carbon F1 GTE was due to be sold to the USA, but for some reason the deal fell through and it was bought by adfer on here (Scotland).

What I pulled is a list of cars not offered in the US by a manufacturer but having been accepted for import as individual cars under 'show and display' terms which includes the car must be very significant either historically, i.e. previously owned by the Queen or the Pope or of technological significance, less than 500 built and used less than 2500 miles per year

Yes I know that. I’m just trying to explain why such a seemingly random car is on that list. Someone presumably applied back then for the Carbon F1 GTE #9, since sold to adfer. Maybe the other factory GTEs would also be eligible on that basis?

Don’t forget the GTE itself was publicly launched at Monterey (Pebble Beach Concours) back then and now the Evija is getting similar treatment at The Quail. It would seem daft not to sell it in America.

11 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

It would seem daft not to sell it in America.

Agreed. Plus you have a a lot of Silicon Valley and Hollywood elites that may jump at the prospect of purchasing an insane electric hypercar.