Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Moroso Baffled Sump - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Moroso Baffled Sump

Go to solution Solved by Jack,

Hi guys,

Thinking of adding a Moroso baffled sump at my next service. I noticed that the pan has a machined groove to take an O ring seal, yet I have been recommended to use a high temperature sealant. Does anyone have any thoughts on ths before I buy one. Dont want to end up with a drippy sump.

thanks

Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
28 minutes ago, Hangar 111 said:

It does have an O ring, but a light smear of sealant would be belt and braces.

Dave

Thanks, appreciated.

58 minutes ago, 550superfast said:

That’s what I fitted after the red lotus one leaked twice

Hi Gary,

Sorry to be a dick, but did you fitted the seal or seal and sealant ?? not that clear to me.

I hate drippy sumps, had the engine out of my twink twice to replace the cork sump gasket.

cheers

Mark

• Solution
On 10/05/2019 at 23:15, Mark030358 said:

Hi guys,

Thinking of adding a Moroso baffled sump at my next service. I noticed that the pan has a machined groove to take an O ring seal, yet I have been recommended to use a high temperature sealant. Does anyone have any thoughts on ths before I buy one. Dont want to end up with a drippy sump.

thanks

Mark

Mark, I've had a baffled sump with O-ring installed on my 211 for quite some time -- no leaks and no big clean-up/mess if you ever need to remove the pan.

I'm thinking of ditching the "red" steel baffled pan that came with the CupR for the Moroso sump too.

Let us know how it goes.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

• 1 month later...

@Jack Hi, ordered one this week. Will keep you posted when it arrives and I eventually get round to fitting it.

cheers

Mark

18 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

@Jack Hi, ordered one this week. Will keep you posted when it arrives and I eventually get round to fitting it.

cheers

Mark

I couldn't wait -- had it done a few weeks ago.  ;)   Looks to be a good improvement even if you already have the factory baffled pan with "rubber" trap doors

Based upon data download, minimum oil pressure on high G right turn corners is up by ~10psi with Moroso sump as compared to the stock steel baffled pan that came on the CupR.  Same corner, same oil and water temps, same G-load, same RPMs -- better oil pressure with Moroso. 👍

moroso-front.thumb.JPG.84dd5b7724c1d400b0e5ee6a69402099.JPGmoroso-rear.thumb.JPG.776361c4e51c5c59363e4eb833651d60.JPG

• Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR

Something shiney arrived today, thanks to @Seriouslylotus.

Just now need to find out which plugs are the drain ones 😂

Some pics showing the gates inside

CFdColFcSa+RZxoey+9Kxw.jpg

g7yHzxwJQ32ryT+NALXc6Q.jpg

VrtUY2S%RJmZKl414wtdIA.jpg

ran%kFQSSNO3z0bgAMjN8Q.jpg

Mark,

There's only 1 drain plug .... and .... HINT:  it is neither one of the two plugs shown in picture #1.  :D

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR

5 hours ago, Jack said:

Mark,

There's only 1 drain plug .... and .... HINT:  it is neither one of the two plugs shown in picture #1.  :D

So give me a clue then? 👍👍

17 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

So give me a clue then? 👍👍

See pic #2 in my post above.  ;) 

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR

2 hours ago, Jack said:

See pic #2 in my post above.  ;) 

There are FIVE of them. 

If its the big black one, wont that leave an awful lot of oil in the sump pan during an oil change? Or am I being stupid 😢... help 🤭

22 minutes ago, Mark030358 said:

There are FIVE of them. 

If its the big black one, wont that leave an awful lot of oil in the sump pan during an oil change? Or am I being stupid 😢... help 🤭

Small one.... allen head plug with O-ring gasket.....should be a magnetic plug.  if not, you can purchase one from Moroso.

The three at the bottom will provide your shop access to the studs/nuts used to attach the pan to the engine block.  :)

The big black plugs can be used for oil return lines, eg, turbo oil return line, etc.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR

14 hours ago, Jack said:

Small one.... allen head plug with O-ring gasket.....should be a magnetic plug.  if not, you can purchase one from Moroso.

The three at the bottom will provide your shop access to the studs/nuts used to attach the pan to the engine block.  :)

The big black plugs can be used for oil return lines, eg, turbo oil return line, etc.

Ahhhh.... that works. Didn’t realise for the installation that you needed to remove the three plugs 🤔

Did you pan come with the magnetic plug? 

Many many thanks 👍

• 4 months later...
On 14/06/2019 at 14:58, Jack said:

I couldn't wait -- had it done a few weeks ago.  ;)   Looks to be a good improvement even if you already have the factory baffled pan with "rubber" trap doors

Based upon data download, minimum oil pressure on high G right turn corners is up by ~10psi with Moroso sump as compared to the stock steel baffled pan that came on the CupR.  Same corner, same oil and water temps, same G-load, same RPMs -- better oil pressure with Moroso. 👍

moroso-front.thumb.JPG.84dd5b7724c1d400b0e5ee6a69402099.JPGmoroso-rear.thumb.JPG.776361c4e51c5c59363e4eb833651d60.JPG

@Jack Any chance you could give me a part number/thread size for the temp sender in your sump?

cheers

Mark

On 16/11/2019 at 05:36, Mark030358 said:

@Jack Any chance you could give me a part number/thread size for the temp sender in your sump?

cheers

Mark

@Mark030358Moroso pan has a 1/8" NPT fitting for an oil temperature sender.... I'm using a sensor sold by AiM.

• Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR

• 1 year later...

@Jack

While this thread has had a bump, do you have a pictures showing the take off for the oil pressure sender and also of how/where you mounted it? I'm guessing its remote as I can see the oil capillary pipe I'm guessing if you used a steel Tee you will hace secured this somewhere.

thanks

Mark