Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Identification assistance - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Identification assistance

...and probably not for the last time, I'm not too familiar with electrics. The fact that I need to x-ref about four of the wiring diagrams to  find everything thats fitted to the car doesnt help much either.....

So this is under the rhs of the binacle, red wires are the legs of a capacitor bridging the two contact.

Cant find any ref to green/purple (or lilac) wires on the schematics, except one jojning the brake light bulb to the switch. This bit seemsto be bound with the loom that also seems to supply the brake switch contacts.

though it was something to do with the fibre optics, but pretty sure not now.

Could it be the Ac air temp sensor? Does something sit inside it using those metal contacts (doesnt look like bulb fittings)?

thanks guys

IMG_1620.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

This looks very similar to my Eclat brake switch that is located on the pedal. You are correct in that there should be a spring and a small metal 'rod' to make contact inside with a plastic end and a push switch. However I haven't seen one with all the contacts that you have! But it must be for something similar. ( just and on/off switch). Im sure someone on here will be able to identify it. I have had a look on the internet but cannot find an exploded diagram of it. This gives you an idea though.

brake-light-switch.gif

• Like 1

Thanks Lez.

I dont think it's that though....there doesnt seem to be any sort of plunger mech or way of fixing it into a bracket, and it is probably a bit high and forward to be able to mount to the pedal, but Ill crawl back under there tomorrow and check.

the presence of the capacitor makes me think it's a bit more involved than simply being a switch too.

Edited by DaveyT

Lez might be on the right track here, as the wire colours suggest. For all the criticisms perhaps rightly earned with regard to electrics it turns out the Brits are to be commended for being the only lot to have bothered colour coding wiring by function. The green/purple wire could be associated with brake lamps on that basis and I note that Lez's diagram shows switch with plunger as that part which connects with your socket. Seems the red wired component would be a a capacitor.

• Like 1

Thanks guys..it does indeed seem to be an integral part of the brake switch, which is hidden beautifully out of view right on top of the brake pedal 😂

It looks like it clips onto the body in front of the plunger and nut, but Im gonna have to take it all out to make sure :

a- its not broken

b- it actually works as it should

have a good weekend

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I managed to get mine back together...no idea why the cap is there though unless it’s for some sort of extended “on” time,

Fortunately,  mine just clipped back together without any real issues. Must have got knocked somehow when the dash came out

good luck with yours, glad you ID’d the problem.

Do you know if the switch is a normally open or closed switch? I am assuming its a normally open switch because when the switch fell apart the brake lights were not on. I read the later Esprits are normally closed and when the switch has broken the lights remain on. I picked up a switch today that looked like it may fit but turned out to be a normally closed switch. When I jumped the brake lights leads the brake lights came on - as did the fog lights.  Surprise, surprise.

I thought it was NC...there’s a spring sits in the centre hole you see above, and a top hat contact on the plunger which I think breaks contact when the pedal is in its home position (top hat sits above the two contacts shown)

I think when you actually fit the switch, you need to adjust the locknuts so that its breaks the contact?

so in other words, you switch will actually be “operated” when the pedal isn’t being used. Hope that makes sense.