Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
!976 Eclat 521Differential - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

!976 Eclat 521Differential

Hi There,

I'm new to the forum, and need some information before I make a purchase. Firstly I'm in Australia, so I guess that most Éclat parts will be like Rocking Horse Droppings, or will have to be adapted from some other vehicle. I am looking at a 1976 Éclat 521(no aircon or power steer; so hopefully less to go wrong) with the 2 litre 907 engine. It has had a replacement Galvanised chasis at some stage of its life, and the bodywork is sound if a little rough. The main problem is that the present owner managed to destroy the differential whilst "Playing" on a race track, and I am told that they are a rather unusual Salisbury type. Now for the question. Can I replace this differential with a Toyota Supra dif, as was fitted to the later Excel, or can I replace the gearbox drive shaft and dif with Supra items. I have a ramp and above workshop skills.

Thanks in anticipation

Shouky

Welcome!

Replacing the diff with one from a Supra (or Excel) is not straightforward as the whole front and rear suspension is different on the Excel, with different chassis mountings and pick-up points. Just changing the gearbox may be possible, but I think the Eclat S2 had a slightly modified chassis to accommodate the Getrag box, which was bulkier than the original Lotus 5 speed, and I suspect the Supra box as fitted to the Excel is also bulkier. You'd also need a custom propshaft I guess.

Better to pay for a decent Salisbury diff to be shipped over there, or even find an Excel wreck and use the chassis and running gear from that!

Good luck, the Eclat is a lovely, delicate looking car and much rarer there than here!

Cheers, Richard

• Like 1

Have you tried LotusBits http://www.lotusbits.com/elite_chassis.html. They list a diff for the Eclat.

Being in Aus may make things somewhat difficult, since LotusBits are notoriously bad at replying to emails. Most of us in the UK find they respond to the phone very well.

I've often used LotusBits for my Excel, and found them to be very good. They know ours cars inside out, and break a lot of old Elites/Eclat/Excels, so if they don't have a diff that fits your Eclat you may well have problems finding the correct part elsewhere.

Tony

Edited by TonyPoll
  • Like 1

Thanks Gentlemen. The cost of the diff from LotusBits seems to be very reasonable, and even if it costs as much again to freight it's a lot easier than trying to find one in Aus. With that information to hand I'm now off to "Haggle" for an Eclat.

Shouky

Good luck wiht the haggle.

I agree with the above - shipping a Salisbury 7HA from the UK would be a lot easier than trying to fabricate a new arrangement to take a different diff. It has been done before, with Dan's race using an Atlas diff and Spyder grafting a Jag IRS in, but Spder chanegd the entire chassis to achieve this.

Keep it standard with a Salisbury. :-)

• Like 1

And don't forget you may be able to get either a 3.73 or 4.1 ratio, depending on what you want. 4.1 was standard.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Although I agree with sourcing a replacement diff from Lotusbits, if you do so look at a refurb on the brakes, new oilseals and bearings on the dif. If shipping a dif is too expensive, you might be able to get yours rebuilt in Australia.

so pleases you are bringing the car back into use as they are a real head turner.

Thanks for that. I can't find anyone in Australia that wants to rebuild this diff, hence the need for a replacement. Even with the cost of freight the Lotusbits route is the way to go. Be assured that everything in the drivetrain, and the brakes will be thoroughly overhauled before the car is put back on the road.