Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Import Costs - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Import Costs

Mattmahope

I am looking at importing a TVS1900 kit from Harrop in Australia. I want to know what the all in cost is going to be. I obviously need to factor in the cost of the parts plus shipping, but what is the tax situation?

I expect Harrop will sell me the parts excluding GST (their version of VAT). Presumably therefore the parts would be liable to VAT when they come into the UK, correct? If so, how is that charged and paid?

Would there be any import duties on top of the VAT?

Just trying to get a handle on overall costs. Don’t want to find myself with parts held hostage by customs and facing a massive bill to get them released!

Thanks in advance!

When I bought my SSC induction kit I was quite surprised how much the import tax was. Not in the good way either. I can’t remember how much but at as guess was 20% or something. 

Would probably be cheaper to fly there and put it in your hand luggage 😂

47 minutes ago, Mattmahope said:

I want to know what the all in cost is going to be.

Have you tried asking Harrop themselves? They might have sent kits directly to the UK themselves. 

Or, they might just direct you to their UK agents (Hoffmans). I guess it depends on what sort of agreement that they have with them. 

1 hour ago, RedViper said:

When I bought my SSC induction kit I was quite surprised how much the import tax was. Not in the good way either. I can’t remember how much but at as guess was 20% or something. 

I did consider using this as an excuse for a trip to Melbourne, but don’t think a blower that big would fit in my suitcase!

23 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Have you tried asking Harrop themselves? They might have sent kits directly to the UK themselves. 

Or, they might just direct you to their UK agents (Hoffmans). I guess it depends on what sort of agreement that they have with them. 

I haven’t yet, but am planning to. I think Hofmanns are Agent for SSC rather than Harrop.

1 hour ago, RedViper said:

How was the import tax calculated? When and how were you notified that you had to pay it?

20% is presumably the VAT payable, and would reflect the fact that you bought it ex-GST.

I am reasonably confident that the following would hold true:

- you would buy ex GST
- you would pay 20% VAT in the UK
- you will pay some amount of duty in the UK, probably wihtin 3-5% range (look up here - https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/headings/8708?currency=EUR&day=23&month=10&year=2019)
- taxes and duties would be calculated by the shipping company and requested from you on collection of the shipment
- there will likely be some reasonable admin fee for processing the customs clearance for you, depends on the shipping company and I'd expect it to be anywhere in the range of 3-10% (you can check it with the shipping company in advance)

I like your thinking and it very much matches what my thoughts were when I looked at TVS1900 options.

My experience in engaging with Hofmanns did not impress me at all.

Edited by vd9
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, vd9 said:

- you would buy ex GST
- you will pay some amount of duty in the UK, probably wihtin 3-5% range (look up here - https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/headings/8708?currency=EUR&day=23&month=10&year=2019)
- taxes and duties would be calculated by the shipping company and requested from you on collection of the shipment
- there will likely be some reasonable admin fee for processing the customs clearance for you, depends on the shipping company and I'd expect it to be anywhere in the range of 3-10% (you can check it with the shipping company in advance)

I like your thinking and it very much matches what my thoughts were when I looked at TVS1900 options.

Hi Victor - apologies if we haven't lived up to expectations here at Hofmann's... Anything I can do to remedy that?  Please feel free to email me - chris@hofmanns.co.uk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Randy said:

Hi Victor - apologies if we haven't lived up to expectations here at Hofmann's... Anything I can do to remedy that?  Please feel free to email me

Hi Chris, no need to apologise - I've had limited amount of interaction, but it left me with a bit of thoughts indeed. I will drop you a note, as it could be useful in making good for the business. Also appreciate you stepping in directly. 👍

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, vd9 said:

- you would buy ex GST

Thank you @vd9, this is super helpful.

46 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Ah, of course. Good point. 

Do Harrop sell directly to the public?

Yes, I believe so. They advertise the kit for sale with a price on their website.

There is also another company in Australia that I am in contact with who sell the kit - currently on special offer!

https://www.streamlineautomotive.com.au/s-chrg-kit-tvs1900-lotus-exige-v6

I would be open to using Hofmanns and have had contact with them in the past, but the costs quoted were very high, especially since I don’t need the ECU tuning with the SSC kit (I have an ECUMaster Black which will be custom mapped by RRR).

BoT have experience of fitting the kit, know my car well, are closer to me and have quoted a lower cost. If I can import the kit myself for a reasonable cost, then that would probably be the best option.

I am currently evaluating all potential avenues!

When I enquired end of last year with SSC and Harrop regarding their charge cooled setup, SSC just pushed me towards Hoffman's but Harrop would sell directly to me. Shipping wasn't too bad if I remember correctly, never got as far shipping so can't comment on import taxes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mattmahope said:

I am currently evaluating all potential avenues!

Please let me know if going this route will be concluded as a likely option and if there is any economies of scale - I may well consider joining in. :rolleyes:

• Like 1