Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Giugiaro Esprit S1 Full Restoration - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Giugiaro Esprit S1 Full Restoration

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 minute ago, JNW3 said:

Glad to have been of help in a very tiny way David!😁👍🏻

Sat in your car was a boyhood dream come true, and looking at the photos from the Lotus Fest offered a great deal of inspiration along my long journey.

• Like 1

Great write up David, congrats on the restoration. You've done an amazing job getting it back together.

I'll be in the UK over Christmas, I'll try to meet for a look. Beautiful!

• Like 2

It's great to see a Lotus being rebuilt in it's place of birth. Seems to be a lot more confidence in DIY with these cars over in the UK 😎 while the rest of us rely on what we read on the net 😄. Love your motivation and the fact you are doing this in a tight space sais a lot.And you are right, we always find the space to finish what we invision.

Edited by v8GTmac1
  • Like 2

Yes @v8GTmac1, it may be a bit easier to restore British cars in the UK. Though I've struggled through 3 winters in a garage without heating, and now still fine tuning things into the 4th.

Hello @williamtherebel the closed cell foam I used throughout the restoration was from a sheet I ordered from eBay. Its dimensions were:

20mm (thick) x 1m x 1.5m water resistant

However, the foam used around the heater matrix was just soft foam, to replicate the original. I already had this from some packaging. See photos.

Hope this helps.

As the heater box has been assembled and installed for over 2 years I can no longer measure the thickness of the foam used, but you should be able to calculate the depth as a proportion of the matrix by using this photo. The foam surrounding the matrix is soft to enable the heater box case to be assembled around it without hindrence. You can see by comparing these two photos how much the foam had been compressed over the years.

DCJ_6464 01.jpg

IMG_20161028_161125366~2.jpg

If however you mean the closed cell foam fitted to the underside of the plenum rain water shield (part number A079U4269K) then this would be 2cm, as that is the thickness of the sheet I bought. I just used the original foam as a template.

In the photo I had yet to rivet the top of the rain water shield to the plenum.

PSX_20191106_170205.jpg

• Like 1