Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Speed Camera Vans - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Speed Camera Vans

Hi All

can anyone tell me if speed vans check speeds of cars heading towards or away from them ??

Also has anyone fitted a jammer or are they illigal ?

any opinions would be good

paul

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jammers are illegal.......... however a transmitter is not. You just need to spike the signal to cause an error. I am sure you could rig something basic with components from Maplin and your microwave.......... :thumbsup: You can find the instructions in "the anarchist's cookbook" Dont know if it was ever built but prolonged exposure would probably cook the policeman......

I was using a CB radio in the late 80's and was putting out just over 150W (illegal as the radio licence was 4W but it was the DTI that enforced, not plod). I was clocked stationary at 122MPH. There was a EU court of rights ruling that the passenger had not commited a crime and a front facing picture was un-ethical but if we give europe lee-way on that then we must accept all the bull that goes with it.

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

Moved to

"General Motoring/Lotus/Esprit Chat - Chat about the Motoring/Lotus/Esprit in general. THIS IS WHERE ANYTHING TO DO WITH CARS OR LOTUS OR THE ESPRIT GOES!!!"

from

"General Chat - This is the place for all banter. PLEASE DO NOT POST ABOUT CARS/MOTORING/LOTUS OR THE ESPRIT IN HERE!!!"

To save me keep having to do this, please take care about where you post your topics.

Oh, and they can check both ways, the LTi 20-20 SpeedScope which is a common laser speed measurement device can get you coming or going. They are a bit rubbish, but magistrates seem to like them enough to trust them despite popular research and opinion.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

If you ask nicely you can even get the incriminating pics :thumbsup:

post-910-1184017700.jpg

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I've always wanted a nice picture of my car like that, now I know where to buy one !

Scameras can get you either or - depends on the van's windows and what view they have, the measuring device can worth any which way.

Luckily Kent's one seems to be stuck at HQ atm (well its there every time I am there).

Oh and don't speed it kills the enviromnet as well now !

...and wear a hi-vis jacket :thumbsup:

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Error 3 is a beautiful thing!

Those garage door openers, the Police will probably head to your house to confirm you have a garage door which needs them, or proof that they were previously installed before you bought the car or I believe you can face a PCoJ charge.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

You could have (or have had) a security device which relies on that laser transponder.

Perhaps it would set off an alarm if the car approached the end of your drive (leaving it) at a time when you had it switched on (night time).

Andy

I have found the best way with mobile camera vans is to note the location and have a good look at the bylaws and the road you were on. A friend was caught on camera doing 85 mph on the staines bypass (A30/308). He wrote back informing them that the vehicle was stopped on the side of the road to get the picture and the police vehicle had committed an offence by stopping and parking in an un-designated area on an Urban Clearway (red cross blue background). they dropped the charge and the penalty as the photo had been taken illegally.

*EDIT*

For those in hampshire..... no speed cameras (only round southampton) as Hampshire dont like the use of them. They have five camera vans which are normally at the followoing locations.... Roundabout by the council offices in farnborough (hiding down slip road to the left of roundabout obscured by bushes). Bridge over the M3 at hook, Bridge over A303 near A34 junction. Edge wall of winchester services looking down onto motorway...... Although the vans are mobile these are their prefered locations...

Edited by Setras

On my to do. One for the front and one for the back, as i drive forwards into the garage at home and reverse into Dads........ :lol:

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

I've got some nice photos of my car as well :)

The good thing about the esprit is you can't see the driver in most photos or videos due to the reflection caused by the angle. Now all you need is a very good reason to not be able to remember who was driving at the time. From experiance it's alot better to give them names of possable drivers.

Seen the video footage of my esprit going through a speed trap, I thought I seen it in plenty time. They had over 35 seconds of footage from after they first recorded my speed, and I wasn't doing 35 in a 30 (on a motorway, and very lucky to just get 3 points)

...and wear a hi-vis jacket :welcome:

Without fail Jono,

Those Chavvy Wimmin trolly pushers at Tescos are downright dangerous ! ( and uninsured , or so I am led to believe !)

Mike :)

"Neglect not thy opportunities"

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

In my point incurring experiences, I was 'driving' towards those wretched vehicles. JBF got his points by what I refer to as a plain clothed police car.....now they really are evil!

Just because you can, does'nt mean you should.

Worth noting that some of the scameras are parked on pubic foot paths on bridges - it is illegal for them to do so and run scamera operations. A few of the peeps I know have got off on this technicality. They have to be on the public highway or in a designated layby etc or on the bottom of a steep hill or around a blind corner :welcome:

...for safety purposes of course.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

I'm sure jammers arnt yet illegal in the UK. You can drive around all day long with it on & no offence has been committed. The time an offence has 'allegedly' been committed is when the camera operator shoots you & it jams the reading, you have then 'prevented a constable from carrying out his duty'

Lets say a friend of mine has one & its its saved him 4 times, so 3 points per go, he'd now be banned, instead his licence is clean.

Just dont take the pi#s with it & if you do know its done its job when out driving one day, get the car back home, strip it out, bury it in the garden somewhere & wait for the possible visit from the BiB to have a look at your car.

:welcome: