Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
It's A Convertible, Too! - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

It's A Convertible, Too!

Advantage

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

;) I know nothing!

Perhaps this is a message for Mike.

I am a cashed up buyer, and all this secrecy is not doing any good for future sales. If I had an idea of what the new Esprit, and this new Eagle is (I need to replace my every dayer right now, and the Europa was a HUGE dissapointment for me), I will definetely hold on and wait.

But when I get NO CLUE about what they will be like and just expected to sit during delays after delays, what possible motivation do I have not to go out and buy something else?

Right now I am very tempted to get another Lambo and I am tempted by quite a few every dayers - Maser and Aston included. If I do go that way, most likely I will not buy the Lotus product when it's out in 08/09. Because as of right now, Lotus has given me NO reason to wait.

..........(sigh)........I'm sorry Andy but I really have been putting up with this for well over a year now. I honestly have to say that Lotus will release shots when they are ready and not before. If they released shots and then made styling adjustments people would shout that it isn't the same and they preferred it before.

They will not make the same mistake they made with the M250 and release info before they are really ready. If they released info now and the car doesn't come out for a year people would scream "old hat" and then the launch is a flop.

Ford only released shots of it's new Mondeo a month or 2 prior to release, so please trust me when I say that Lotus have released enough new cars to know where and when to show it.

In regards to the Europa, I personally love driving the car and it's different to all the Elises out there, but it depends on what your expectations were before trying it. I know everyone here who drove it on the factory day, really liked it, but it's not everyones cup of tea and IMHO the previous management set the ball too high with their "executive" branding.

[Disclaimer: Thats my personal opinion and not that of anyone I know]

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Just my 2p's worth.....

I'm off to my local Aston dealer this week to put my deposit down on the Vantage roadster; I've got 3 Lotusues in my garage and was looking to put the Esprit replacement in there too.... but no-one can give me a sensible answer as to when I can expect it.....

It's all to much "smoke and mirrors" ... so the marque loses a sale.... pity since you wont find a customer more bought into the marque than me.....

but I can't wait forever, so Aston (even with the 18 month wait) get the cash....... ;)

Just my 2p's worth.....

I'm off to my local Aston dealer this week to put my deposit down on the Vantage roadster; I've got 3 Lotusues in my garage and was looking to put the Esprit replacement in there too.... but no-one can give me a sensible answer as to when I can expect it.....

It's all to much "smoke and mirrors" ... so the marque loses a sale.... pity since you wont find a customer more bought into the marque than me.....

but I can't wait forever, so Aston (even with the 18 month wait) get the cash....... ;)

This is exactly what I am talking about. By the end of this year, I will be in the same position and I will have to decide if I buy something right there and then, or wait to be dissapointed again by Lotus.

And just like you, I am a loyal 'Lotusee' with 5 Esprits over the years. But Lotus is not allowing me to be faithful to it anymore.

Ford only released shots of it's new Mondeo a month or 2 prior to release, so please trust me when I say that Lotus have released enough new cars to know where and when to show it.

Hi Kimbers,

I agree with you to an extent, but Ford were in a different position as they are replacing a product that was still on sale. If they released a photo of the new Mondeo a year before it went on sale, then no one would buy the old one.

With the Esprit it is different as it does not compete with any product Lotus currently sells. Once the styling is signed off there is less to loose by releasing the photos - Aston for example show photos of thier new models long before they go on sale.

Current Esprit owners looking for something more modern have lots of choices from Aston, Lambo etc so surely one of the jobs for the marketing dept at Lotus is to convince us (and other potential Aston / Ferrari / Lambo / Audi R8 etc etc) customers to wait for the Esprit?

I have deposits paid on both the new Esprit and V8 Vantage S (which will hopefully be the 430BHP more hardcore version of the Vantage). I can not afford to have both so if the Aston is going to be launched ahead of the Esprit and I dont have any details of the Esprit then my choice is made for me.

Having said that, if I buy the Aston I might keep the S4s....

Alan

Hopefully this is a message to Lotus.

Here you have 3 people that have the means and WANT to buy the Lotus, yet it seems that Lotus is doing everything in their power to make sure these 3 people go and buy somewhere else. And the sad thing is, I am sure there are so many more people like us.

Lotus is not doing everything in it's power to put people off. It's doing nothing other than design a new car which it will release when it's ready to.

I'm not saying they won't release shots, merely that they will release them when they are ready to. If you decide you want an Aston in the meantime thats your perogative, but there will be just as many people saying "I've had enough of the Aston and want this new Lotus".

I'm sorry, but I will show the old man the posts next time he's round.

And I do know the competitors product......

IMGP2730.jpg

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Lotus is not doing everything in it's power to put people off. It's doing nothing other than design a new car which it will release when it's ready to.

I'm not saying they won't release shots, merely that they will release them when they are ready to. If you decide you want an Aston in the meantime thats your perogative, but there will be just as many people saying "I've had enough of the Aston and want this new Lotus".

I'm sorry, but I will show the old man the posts next time he's round.

And I do know the competitors product......

You are missing the point a bit.

We are not saying that we'd rather have an Aston over a Lotus.

We are saying that we have a desire for a current hot car. And we want that desire to be fulfilled by a Lotus.

But when Lotus is not supplying a car for us and is not even giving us any hints about the car, eventually we will go somewhere else to fulfill our desire.

And unfortunately, some of us cannot then afford to sell the new car (Aston, whatever) and buy a Lotus whenever Lotus gets realeased.

But, we would ALL wait for the Lotus if Lotus would give us a reason to. And the statement "Don't worry, it will be good" is just not enough anymore.

Edited by andecorp

I'm even less fussy than that....

all I want is "yes its definately coming and its coming XXXX"

"xxxx" being "when"

and them to mean it !

And this is speaking as someone who had a deposit in for an M250 !

I just fear that I'll hang on and on......and on....and on...and on.... and on

and then we get told its been canned......

when in reality its been canned already and no one has told us !

Lotus is not unique in it's approch to keeping details of new cars secret....look at the other manufacturers. By not releasing information look at hype it is getting on this forum alone.

I am sure MJK knows what he is doing and by putting the new Esprit (I hope the name remains) back a year to Lotusify it will mean we will eventually get the right product. I take the point in an earlier post that there is a risk it may be cancelled so some words of comfort from Lotus along the lines.. Don't be daft guys of course there will be a new Esprit in 2009.

Picking up on the convertible/non-convertible issue....it must come in convertible form if it has any chance of competing in the GLOBAL market against the Jag's, Lambo's, Porkers and Aston's out there. I wonder when Audi will produce a rag top R8.

You all have to remember that the Autocar image is a DRAWING and not a photograph and is therefore work in progress. For me the car looks great apart from the mouth, I think it needs to be one of the features they carry over from the last Esprit and they should also relocate the "Elise" style driving lights away from the mouth and move these to the outside the grille.

As a parting shot.... all you guys who are ready to put their hands in their pockets for a new Aston or Lambo...go ahead 'cos unless you have a deposit on the new Esprit you might not get one when it is launched 'cos people like me who have a deposit on it already will be ahead of you in the queue.

As a parting shot.... all you guys who are ready to put their hands in their pockets for a new Aston or Lambo...go ahead 'cos unless you have a deposit on the new Esprit you might not get one when it is launched 'cos people like me who have a deposit on it already will be ahead of you in the queue.

I dont' have to worry about that as here in Australia, they don't have a single deposit down for the Esprit according to the importer.

How can you put a deposit down on something that isn't even confirmed as going to exist......?

Believe me, after my M250 experience, you don't exactly get a good return on your investment !

You might as well try to put a deposit down on the worlds first flying car.....

How can you put a deposit down on something that isn't even confirmed as going to exist......?

That is a very good point! Jaguar made a very similiar mistake with the XJ220 and paid the price (returned deposits due to not meeting release dates, and the car basically NOT being what was promised)

They will not make the same mistake they made with the M250 and release info before they are really ready. If they released info now and the car doesn't come out for a year people would scream "old hat" and then the launch is a flop.

I take your point, but the other side of the coin is: It's better to gauge opinion with a show car, than run the risk of designing and producing a car people might not like. The Europa S being an example.

And if the car was a truely radical design and excited people, it wouldn't date.

The original silver Esprit was shown 4 years before production, yet the car still looked amazing in 1976.

Yes mark, and that was in the early 70's. Modern thinking is to build anticipation not show the car too early before release.

To highlight the difference, Lotus couldn't have even shown you a drawing of the new mid engined sports car 4 years prior to it's release date because it didn't exist. What you will see in 2009 is a Lotus, with Lotus core values. I can assure you the car does exist and will look great and will definately be a goer...not an M250....

Now if you disbelieve that then fine but any of you who met MJK last year will know beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he is honest with his statements. If he says it's coming then it's coming.

On another note I know Lotus aren't taking deposits on the car at present so you are registering your deposits with your local dealer.

Where else can you get inside info from the son of the top man himself who worked with the main man ACBC!

I think some people are being a bit harsh and what was touched on before, all Manufacturers do this. They do not release future car plans to anyone willingly, usually. If you cannot wait then go ahead and by something else, but it sounds very much like Lotus is working on a great Lotus car. And not to mention they are working on the "eagle" as well. Lotus is not huge, they have to prioritise there resources. Sure the sooner the better but as long as Lotus keeps on going.

Edited by Kimbers
cleaning

It's on LEW now!

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/NewEsprit/...prit_Aug07.html

Personally it's not the Esprit and it's nothing to do with Lotus, so it's not relative. This is poor journalism in my opinion.

As for the cars delay, I'm sure Lotus are doing what they can. Trying to compete with bigger companies with bigger budgets isn't easy. It takes longer and that's what makes it special.

kato

lew_small.gif

http://www.lotusespritworld.com' target='_blank'>

"You might as well put a deposit down on the world's first flying car"

Sorry, off subject, I know but if you've never seen this it's worth watching. The comment above reminded me of it!

Richard

As for the cars delay, I'm sure Lotus are doing what they can. Trying to compete with bigger companies with bigger budgets isn't easy. It takes longer and that's what makes it special.

Agreed, it does make it special, very special. I have no doubts that it will be a very special car; I might not like it, but it will still be special.

I am also without any doubts that this car will be produced.

I think Kimbers raised an excellent point......there is no point is providing tantalsing glimpses of something that is not finished/finalised. Only for people to then be disappointed at to why this and that has since been changed upon the car's release.

As my old Dad used to say......anything worth having is worth waiting for.

Just because you can, does'nt mean you should.

As my old Dad used to say......anything worth having is worth waiting for.

My wife uses that phrase alot. :welcome:

Isn't the car's release still 2 years away? Strikes me that it's a bit early to start releasing pictures and still keep the momentum of publicity going until it's on sale.

I can understand Andecorp's and Paul's frustration but the company has to do what it thinks is best. Paul and Andecorp need to do likewise and, maybe put their deposits down for something they know is going to be for sale. If the new Esprit is good enough, they will sell their cars and buy it. If not, they will be glad they didn't wait.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE