Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
It's A Convertible, Too! - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

It's A Convertible, Too!

Advantage

Interesting to read that the engine will a V8 with more 400hp....to me the engine of new Bmw M3 is perfect for Esprit becouse is enough powerful but especially is light like needs Lotus philosophy.......Besides a V8 is a good choice for Lotus tradition of race cars F1(ford cosworth)and others.Like the Real Ferrari wants a V12 possibly front engined a Lotus supercar needs a V8 mid engined with a chassis very very light :lol:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario. A saloon car engine should never drive a supercar. Different characteristics, not at all suited to a supercar....IMHO

I've also had a chat with MJK this weekend and after reading this section he said "I can understand everyone's frustration but believe me when I say that the MAXIMUM showing period for a release is 6 months though for a limited market supercar 4 months is preferable. Any time longer than that and the car becomes "Old hat" and the launch and order take is never as high as when you show it and release it almost immediately".

I suspect from those comments that you will see the Esprit in a year or so, sorry.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Mario. A saloon car engine should never drive a supercar. Different characteristics, not at all suited to a supercar....IMHO

I've also had a chat with MJK this weekend and after reading this section he said "I can understand everyone's frustration but believe me when I say that the MAXIMUM showing period for a release is 6 months though for a limited market supercar 4 months is preferable. Any time longer than that and the car becomes "Old hat" and the launch and order take is never as high as when you show it and release it almost immediately".

I suspect from those comments that you will see the Esprit in a year or so, sorry.

So that means the car is 100% a goer, and now we have a timeline?

the new M3 V8 engine is a great engine for a sportscar/supercar...it's not a saloon car engine...it's a sportscar- engine fitted in a saloon car...look at the specs...that engine deserves to be fitted in a light sportscar/supercar...but if lotus will not use new V8 M3 engine from BMW, which BMW V8 will they use? Maybe they won't use a BMW engine...

Is that picture not just an artist impression worked from a gallardo as previous pics were by auto publications.

I'm all for a new Esprit but it does look uncannily like the Gallardo Spyder.

Kimbers is the Eagle really a good idea for Lotus as I was always under the impression that ALL Lotus 2+2's depreciated badly and were not that popular with the public. Call me old fashioned but Lotus is trying to appeal to the masses but surely this would be an even bigger risk to the company?

Only my thoughts and i'll probably get grilled but we all know how the Elites, Eclats and Excels faired in times of old!

Would love to see official pics of the Esprit though.

Waynef

Hi Anthony; Thanks for showing this to your father. I don't think I asked to see any photo's or anything... all I was looking for was confirmation that the Esprit replacement was still coming and hadn't been canned, that was all.......

Hi Anthony; Thanks for showing this to your father. I don't think I asked to see any photo's or anything... all I was looking for was confirmation that the Esprit replacement was still coming and hadn't been canned, that was all.......

Paul, I wasn't criticising you and please be aware that MJK has confirmed it will be coming.

Wayne, At the time the Elite, Eclat and Excels were both highly thought of (winning awards) and were an integral part of the company. Without them or the Sunbeam the company wouldn't have got past 1984. The market for the Eagle is much larger than the Esprit and personally i would think the company would want to sell in at least a 2 to 1 ratio.

As I said previously, the new Midengined sports car was put back to make it more "Lotus" not for production issues.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

...As I said previously, the new Midengined sports car was put back to make it more "Lotus" not for production issues.

"Driving purity, what Lotus does best."

Saw that in an old road test somewhere. So right.

DanR

Wayne F

With reference to your doubts about the popularity of Lotus 2 + 2s, please remember the Type 50 Elan+2 - IMHO, the most beautiful car that Lotus have released since the early 60s.

Dependent upon source there were ~5,000 made. PM have one for sale (recently refurbished) for

Edited by Sy V

Lotus Elan Central Administrator

banner.jpg

Just presented in CZ newspaper:

New Esprit comes in 2009, with max speed 330km/h, 400HP, prise about 150000USD, info about old V8 engine, but, planed new 4.8L BMW engine, version coupe and planed cabrio, used technology - Versatile Vehicle Architecture (no idea what is it?? )

58-article_h.jpg

http://www.lotus-club.cz

lccz_banner.gif

Your 6 is my 12.

http://www.voodoo-world.cz

--------------------------------

VVA is the new chassis system developed by Lotus which can be used for various sized cars, from hot hatches to supercars, with minor development, due to it's commonality of it's major components. You will see it on the new Esprit, Eagle (plus others?)

This has a full explanation: http://www.gglotus.org/ggrace/vva-chassis/vva-chassis.htm

no dont like. air intake at the rear are huge turn off, and cant see any of the old esprit styling cues and it needs a roof

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

• 3 weeks later...

it does look like a slightly curvier gallardo. the gallardo is a lovely car but if you think this is coming out in 2008/9 and so may date quite quickly

I have to say that i think it looks great and i have no doubt what so ever that it will be an awesome car :)

BUT.... thinking back to 1976, there were quite a few nice cars going about....the 308 being my favourite but when i saw the original Esprit i just thought WOWWWWWWWWWWW

From a styling point of view, i think the Esprit in all its forms is timeless....... it looks like its moving even when its standing still.

The new car however (from what i have seen so far ... and lets face it, it may not even look like that in the end) doesn

Don't worry. That isn't it, I'm sure. Not that i'd know it if it jumped out and bit me on the ass!

I rekon the new esprit should hang on to the good old pop up headlights. They are fantastic! a real nice little quirky detail. It wouldnt reduce aerodynamics that much... ( should be driving slower at night anyhows!) and any racing versions would have fixed lights

hmmm a competition version of the new esprit!........

pop up are history, no longer allowed by law....

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

If they step out in front of you I say that they're fair game! :vava:

Just proves Darwin was spot on the money - tweaker's don't survive!

If they step out in front of you I say that they're fair game! ;)
Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

58-article_h.jpg

If you told me that was the replacement for the current Elise I would believe you, it lacks the fine tailoring and air of sophistication that the new Esprit design needs to posses IMO.

Also it looks fat and dumpy! :thumbsup:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

If they step out in front of you I say that they're fair game! :thumbsup:

I adopt the simple attitude, "I don't drive on the pavement, so don't walk on the road" :thumbsup:

The front of that car looks like a character from Pokemon :whistle: