Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil Pressure - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil Pressure

:crybaby: 1991 esprit, after car is warrm, oil pressure drops and then goes up wen reving the engine. also oil light comes on intermittenly, checked oil level it is ok, any fixes?? oil pump?

Thank you

BigMike208

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

:crybaby: 1991 esprit, after car is warrm, oil pressure drops and then goes up wen reving the engine. also oil light comes on intermittenly, checked oil level it is ok, any fixes?? oil pump?

Thank you

BigMike208

Mike,

This is a topic that has been discussed on many occasions. As long as your oil is of good quality, preferrably synthetic of the appropriate blend, and the oil pressure is above the .34bar minimum at idle you should be fine. When you rev the car, and the oil pressure rises this is an indication that the oil is pumping. It's very common for the gauge to read at the low side, as long as it doesn't drop to 0! BAD. When the oil gets hot it obviously thins some hence the lower pressure, you probably see the light come on when you take off from a stop or are backing into a parking spot etc. Mine does the same thing and is just part of the pressure tell tale indicator. I believe the problem stems from the fact that the oil pump is about 20 inches above the oil pump pickup in the sump, it has to constantly pull the oil upward against gravity so making life harder for the pump. Anyway, short answer is no real danger unless the pressure drops to 0 and the light comes full on. Then WORRY!

ARtie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Mike,

Thanks, Lotus Prepared by Claudius is where I got the light panel, SJ sportscars in the UK has them as well. It all depends on where you live. If you are in the UK I'd say go with SJ, if you are stateside then Claudius has them and they are fairly reasonably priced. I paid about $1400 US with lights last year.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Bibs,

Doesn't the OEM unit require cutting of the lower part of the rear end to fit? If shipped to the US it would be HUGE! Shipping of large items is cost prohibitive to the US. Ask Drfatz, he shipped some body parts for his car.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm