Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Carb Service Kit - Covid Boredom Casualty - Page 2 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Carb Service Kit - Covid Boredom Casualty

59 minutes ago, DaKa said:

I've been informed that it could be an anti-tampering plug on originals that affected warranty if removed?

Yes, I believe certain versions were fitted with anti tamper plugs. 😀

Cheers,

John W

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
5 hours ago, DaKa said:

Sorry to ask again, but does anyone know why the mixture screw on these New/Old Carb images doesn't have a flat head screwdriver adjustment?

Hi Damien,

I think they are the anti-tamper screw heads that you can see rather than plugs.

Looks like these DHLA's require a special tool in order to adjust them. They were probably originally destined for a specific car manufacturer and the special screw heads discourage adjustment by end users.

I think you have four choices:

• Remove the screws and replace with your old ones.
  • Remove and modify the screws so you can adjust them with a normal screwdriver.
  • Buy replacement screws with a slot.
  • Make an improvised tool to adjust them (ie, cut the tip of an old screwdriver and file a slot in the end of the shaft so it fits either side of those flats)

In any case, they don't look like they would put up much of a fight getting them out do do any of the above.

Andy.

Thanks gents - this is the package winging its way to me on Monday - going to feel like Christmas has come early! 

These must be quite rare Old/New

Lotus Dellorto carbs 001 - Edited.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful.

I missed the fact that they were ex Lotus stock.

Do you intend to go through all of the jets and emulsion tubes to make sure they are the same as your original sizes?

Andy.

I don't know enough to check these (except for the normal service parts) thoroughly, but have been assured they are specific to the N/A Esprit model from late 80s.

I'll check the obvious and then likely give it a go 'plug and play', or, wait until things are 'normal' again and get them fitted by an expert while the belts and other jobs are done - I guess it just depends on how much longer this lockdown goes on?

47 minutes ago, DaKa said:

I don't know enough to check these

If you remove the jets, they usually have the sizes stamped on them.

Would be a good idea to make sure they look something like, while on the bench.

Andy.

• 1 month later...

Hi All, 

Have a made a costly gaff, or, is there a solution?

As I went finally today to replace my old tired carbs with new old ones and swapped a couple of bits over, I noticed when I removed 2 stickers that I thought were covering blanks, they turned out to be where something is clearly needed.

Have I got any options here other than to repackage and sell and start again?

What are these 2 extra for, are they related to the turbo model - see diifs in picks above and side of float bowl.

20200613_163026 - Edited.jpg

Found another Pic on the forum - looks like these are carbs for Turbo as there is some piping connecting as shown - sugar!

563a45350a92d_FuelPressureRegulator.JPG.

Hi Damien, I think you'll be fine.

The pipework exposes the float chamber to turbo pressure which allows the carbs to function under boost conditions.

I think it will be simply a case of fitting your old vented covers (from the old carbs) and plugging that other threaded hole.

Others may confirm.

BTW, you'll deffinately need to go through and check all the jets. They will certainly be different to your originals.

Andy.

Edited by AndyPG

Appreciated Andy,

For the moment I've put the new ones back in their box and will have another go at my old ones while they are off the car. I was so disappointed they were not right for my N/A as I had envisaged a quick swap here and an all singing dancing motor.

Once I adjust or fiddle with the new ones they will be of less value should I decide to sell them. I may just keep them as I certain my next car will be the turbo model.

From what you say, if I can't get my old ones running smooth again, then it's just a matter of changing the jets and perhaps getting an alternative float cover, or, blocking off the hole on the right of the turbo float cover and then replacing the cap (held down with 2 screws on top) with my existing, which presumably has some sort of breather/ventilation?

8 hours ago, DaKa said:

presumably has some sort of breather/ventilation?

Hi Damien,

It's a long time since I've had my hands on DHLA's or the similar Weber DCOE's.

From memory that plastic cover not only provides access to the jets and emulsion tubes but it incorporates the vent for the float chamber.

If I were you, I'd remove the jets and emulsion tubes one by one and check for blocked progression holes.

Some of these progression holes are tiny and can affect the mixture control at certain rpm's.

This could well be your slight hiccup at 30/35mph in 4th gear.

Andy.

I would discount the idea of fitting the Turbo carbs to an NA.   In addition to the main and idle jets, you would also need to consider the jet holders/emulsion tubes, pump jets, pump jet springs, diaphragms weight. recalibration of pump jet volumes etc.  There may also be physical differences in the castings, such as number of progression drillings.   And as you note, you would also need to modify the venting system.

Looking at your old carbs, I'd probably treat myself to an ultrasonic cleaner (not too expensive) and start from there.   On the plus side, those later spec turbo carbs are a valuable part, so are unlikely to depreciate.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input.

I definitely will not be trying the new ones! They were quickly put back in their wrappers and I'll either trade them or keep them for my next 'Turbo' model 🙂

I did however notice when I pulled the old ones apart again one little spring missing from the mixture screw (previous owner(s) as I'm certain nothing was dropped or lost when I applied the service kit) and a couple of other parts damanged which I will either source/replace or give to someone with the right equipment to rebuild?

I see SJS provide a service, £425 plus VAT which I feel is prohibitively expensive considering they want your old in exchange.

@DaKa there is a chap in essex who rebuilds them Paul 07976 985477 www.weber-carbs.co.uk . Mine are going to him to be done. 

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I managed to get a few replacement parts from EUROCARB, Reading and fitted them carefully - now my engine is running great and perfectly balanced.

The main problems were:

1) I was somehow missing a mixture screw spring (£0.67) 

2) Broken pump rod spring (£1.98)

I lavished out on 4 mixture springs and 2 pump springs plus 4 x O rings - really pleased to have resolved this.

This episode has taught me much about Dellorto DHLA45 carbs

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Following on here, I've still got some difficulty starting the car without using choke.

My N/A does not have a choke cable fitted, I am presuming that it was removed by previous owner?

So it's a bit of a faff, if it doesn't start after a few attempts pumping the accelerator first, I get my wife to turn the car over while I use my fingers to adjust what would normally be done by a choke cable (as I had on my old Excel) and bang it starts straight away. I can stop the car almost immediately and then it restarts without the same faff.

Does anyone have any nice pictures of their N/A engine choke cable and routing. I have nothing in the dash for choke pull (o/a being refurbished by previous owner) so any pictures of its normal location in the cabin would be great. 

4 hours ago, DaKa said:

Does anyone have any nice pictures of their N/A engine choke cable and routing. I have nothing in the dash for choke pull (o/a being refurbished by previous owner) so any pictures of its normal location in the cabin would be great. 

It's activated by the lever on the centre console, the black one in the picture. I owned three carb'd Esprits & all started, even in the coldest temps, with a couple of pumps of the pedal before turning the key so I'd suggest there's something no quites right, maybe an air leak. 😐

090902075637_esprit1.jpg

Cheers,

John W

9 hours ago, AndyPG said:

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Is it me?

Andy.

No, I gave the website up a while back but haven't got around to changing my signature. :sofa:

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

10 hours ago, jonwat said:

It's activated by the lever on the centre console, the black one in the picture. I owned three carb'd Esprits & all started, even in the coldest temps, with a couple of pumps of the pedal before turning the key so I'd suggest there's something no quites right, maybe an air leak. 😐

That's actually a picture of an S3, not sure where the choke is located on a Stevens' Esprit is. :wub:

Cheers,

John W

• 2 months later...

I got myself a choke cable only to realised that I'm missing the choke linkage between carbs, I already have a spare choke mounting bracket. It looks like 215/220mm x 2mm M2 or M3.

£30-£40 for a single rod linkage!

I won't be straightening any coat hangers, but would a model part work?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Boat-Push-Rod-Kit-Include-M2-Rod-End-Rubber-Bellows-Seals-M2-Pull-JE/353329602715?hash=item524415e09b:g:U0QAAOSwNmheae-a

or 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-Pushrod-300mm-30cm-12-Push-Rods-M2-Thread-Link-Rod-End-M2-Ball-Joints-X-5/254824594443?hash=item3b54babc0b:g:WrcAAOSwwMJf8eD1

Only doing what Lotus would do, getting parts from different places 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've decided to sell the New/Old stock turbo carbs that I purchased in error hoping that someone on this forum needs them and we can agree a good deal.

https://www.lotusforsale.com/ads/new-original-stock-unused-esprit-turbo-carbs-and-accessories/

Do send me a pm if you are in need of these.

• Like 1