Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exposed Shifter Conversion - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Exposed Shifter Conversion

Hello guys! I have a 250 cup and I just wanna ask if I can convert my center console into an exposed shifter? Mine has the regular leather shift boot... do I still need to change the whole shifter? Or just order the exposed center console without the leather boot? Mine is the second pic with the leather boot and I wanted to make it like the first photo. Thanks!

8677AAED-C4A1-46FC-BCF8-D64E66D17236.jpeg

BAACC90A-700B-4781-A10E-35484988CB4D.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Unfortunately it’s totally different and the parts required are not cheap, couple of the the exige v6 guys have updated to the exposed shifter , they had the work done at HPE I believe.

Oh I thought I just need to change the center console... so what's the difference between the two shifters? I mean performance wise, or just the looks? I'm also curious on the parts needed to make the conversion

The newer one is more durable and more accurate that the earlier one, since it is built around spherical bearings, rather than plastic that wear.

We have done a few shifter conversions on both Exige and Elise.

Dave

3 hours ago, LotusCup said:

But mine is a 2017 250 cup? Is it still using the old bearings?

If it looks like your second photo, yes.  I'd guess you are an early 2017 before the MY revisions - you have the earlier front clamshell shape and twin rear lights too?

Dave

8 minutes ago, Hangar 111 said:

If it looks like your second photo, yes.  I'd guess you are an early 2017 before the MY revisions - you have the earlier front clamshell shape and twin rear lights too?

Dave

Yes twin rear tailights correct! So what do I need to convert the shifter?

Hello Dave 

Do you think haveing the conversion done makes a big difference to shift quality as in is it as good as the series 3 Exige or is the conversion compromised by the fact it's an upgrade on an older design and is it available on the S2 Exige 

Thanks 

23 minutes ago, philcool said:

Hello Dave 

Do you think haveing the conversion done makes a big difference to shift quality as in is it as good as the series 3 Exige or is the conversion compromised by the fact it's an upgrade on an older design and is it available on the S2 Exige 

Thanks 

It's definitely an improvement, but whether it justifies the cost is a bit more subjective I suppose - for some it's worth it.

Not available for the older cars, that would be a bespoke project at this point.  The parts are available off the shelf for Exige V6 and Elise S3 (EC60 gearbox).

1 hour ago, Hangar 111 said:

It's about £2k+VAT fitted, most of which is parts from Lotus.

Dave

I just remembered, that doesn't include any of the interior trim parts. So there's a bit more to add.

Dave

2 minutes ago, LotusCup said:

Wow! Will get the AP bbk and rear floating rotors first 😅

Personally I wouldn't, the 4-pot front brakes gives a long pedal with the standard master cylinder, and really isn't necessary.  Change the pads and fluid first.

Dave

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hangar 111 said:

It's definitely an improvement, but whether it justifies the cost is a bit more subjective I suppose - for some it's worth it.

Not available for the older cars, that would be a bespoke project at this point.  The parts are available off the shelf for Exige V6 and Elise S3 (EC60 gearbox).

I just remembered, that doesn't include any of the interior trim parts. So there's a bit more to add.

Dave

Personally I wouldn't, the 4-pot front brakes gives a long pedal with the standard master cylinder, and really isn't necessary.  Change the pads and fluid first.

Dave

Wow it will total to at least £3k if I did the conversion... I really didn't know that the shifter is totally different. 

About the AP 308 brake kit, it doesn't improve the brake feel? I was planning to get the AP racing 308 floating rotor kit and transfer my front calipers to the rear brakes... I saw a lot of Elise track cars did this already around the world?

I thought it's a nice upgrade since I'm getting more hp from the exhaust and ecu...

Edited by LotusCup

4 hours ago, LotusCup said:

About the AP 308 brake kit, it doesn't improve the brake feel? I was planning to get the AP racing 308 floating rotor kit and transfer my front calipers to the rear brakes... I saw a lot of Elise track cars did this already around the world?

I thought it's a nice upgrade since I'm getting more hp from the exhaust and ecu...

Not in my personal experience, unless you change the master cylinder also.  Which you _really_ need to do if you are putting the fronts on the rears, as the brake balance goes wrong.  With just the 4-pots on the front, the brakes are very effective, don't get me wrong, but there is pedal travel before they do so.  Putting fronts on rears is just adding unsprung weight for little gain, as you have to retain the standard caliper for handbrake (or add a spot).  Alot of hassle for not much benefit to most users, with most power levels.  But just my opinion...  take it with as much salt as you like :)

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hangar 111 said:

Not in my personal experience, unless you change the master cylinder also.  Which you _really_ need to do if you are putting the fronts on the rears, as the brake balance goes wrong.  With just the 4-pots on the front, the brakes are very effective, don't get me wrong, but there is pedal travel before they do so.  Putting fronts on rears is just adding unsprung weight for little gain, as you have to retain the standard caliper for handbrake (or add a spot).  Alot of hassle for not much benefit to most users, with most power levels.  But just my opinion...  take it with as much salt as you like :)

Dave

Yeah I get what you're saying... I'll be adding unsprung weight for the front calipers and bigger rotors. They will be floating rotors though 🤔

Am I the only person that actually prefers the older (closed) shifter on an Elise?

I understand that on an S3 Exige the open shifter is a big improvement, but on the Elise the closed shifter works great, quick, smooth and accurate. I've owned 2x Exige 350 Sports and although the open shifter looked great I found it to be a bit 'clackety' in operation and being wider at the front it rubbed my calf muscle!

Ok so maybe I'm a bit odd :lol:

5 hours ago, duncx said:

Am I the only person that actually prefers the older (closed) shifter on an Elise?

I understand that on an S3 Exige the open shifter is a big improvement, but on the Elise the closed shifter works great, quick, smooth and accurate. I've owned 2x Exige 350 Sports and although the open shifter looked great I found it to be a bit 'clackety' in operation and being wider at the front it rubbed my calf muscle!

Ok so maybe I'm a bit odd :lol:

LOL! Yeah you have point, I've decided to keep my "closed" shifter since the car came out from factory like that. Before I thought they just deleted the shift boot, not knowing it's totally different. I'll just upgrade my brakes after installing exhaust and ECU 🙂