Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Suspension refurb - anyone done it? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Suspension refurb - anyone done it?

As is poular with Elises has anyone done a suspension refurb on an Evora, stripping it all down and getting bits and pieces like wishbones, hub carrier etc blasted and coated in some way? In addition would it cost the earth to get the standard dampers refurbed similarly (i.e. just cheaper to buy new or barely used replacements)?

I ask as I was changing the ARB drop links on mine last night and was slightly annoyed at just how scabby bits of it are (my car is a 2011 S with 33k miles on it that has been pampered since I had it and whilst cared for wasn't babied by its first owner), especially the hub carriers, springs and bottom ends of the dampers. Might be something that I look to do over the winter.

Would be something I'd ideally do myself (getting bits coated etc professionally) so doable in my garage with the car up on stands with clams off to help access (and allow more minor strip, paint and rebuild of bits and pieces of bracketry etc).

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is a 2010 on 31k miles and suspension etc looks fine. I did buy a full set of OE dampers and springs from the Lotus Motorsport sale a year or so ago as they were so cheap. I'll fit these if / when the existing ones get tired or start leaking - but all good so far. I had all the wheels off in March and gave it a good spray of ACF50 and a good old wipe down. Unlike the Elise, we have lovely forged aluminium wishbones, so nowt to do there :)  All I've had  are 2 x replacement ARM bushes, but you can now get upgraded ones which apparently last.

I did hear that if you need new bottom ball joints then you need replacement wishbones which are pricey - unless anybody knows if you can fit ball joints and bushed with a press?

Yeah, the wishbones would need just a proper clean up. It's properly scabby in a couple of places say on the hub carriers. FRom what I know the first owner used the car then parked it up in a small garage for a good while so I'm wondering if it was a bit damp in there. All is sound, just doesn't look pretty. The bit that's perhaps most annoying is the bottom of the dampers where the coating is properly flaking off. I'm kicking myself now for not buying a set like you did (I nearly did). There are some decent used sets on ebay so if that is cheaper than getting mine refurbed (they're fine in terms of use, just don't look nice) that may be a goer.

Bilstein will refurbish the dampers but takes up to 3 weeks. Min cost is £80+vat per damper but if they find any issues over the basic refurb then it will cost more. Also I don't think they do anything cosmetically.

• 3 weeks later...