Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
350: upgrade to 380 exhaust ? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

350: upgrade to 380 exhaust ?

Hi, has anyone upgraded their exhaust from the standard 350 to the valved system from the 380?

i currently have the 2bular non-valved track system on mine but miss the extra noise of open valves from my 380 test drive.   I know it may fail track noise limits but mine will likely be used mainly/only on roads anyway. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

No, the 350 and 380 downpipes are different sizes, you need to buy a custom link pipe so the 380 backbox will marry up to the 350 down pipe. Jim at 2bular will make you one. @Schnitzel had this done on his V6 Cup and it sounds great.

• Thanks 1

I have exactly the same issue and exhaust. According to Jim this would be your solution on great sound and swap:

https://www.2bular.co.uk/exige-380/exige-v6-non-valved-70mm-track-system

I have to wait a bit unfortunately to do this but he can build you one soon if you reach out to him. Is so, pls post how it came out!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bandit said:

No, the 350 and 380 downpipes are different sizes, you need to buy a custom link pipe so the 380 backbox will marry up to the 350 down pipe. Jim at 2bular will make you one. @Schnitzel had this done on his V6 Cup and it sounds great.

Yes, sorry I meant that I would need to buy a 380 downpipe as well as the silencer ?

1 hour ago, GoldenGun said:

Yes, sorry I meant that I would need to buy a 380 downpipe as well as the silencer ?

No 380 down pipe needed. You use the existing standard down pipe and simply ask Jim to make you the Link pipe, so that the back box can connect.

Epic sound, but you probably won’t get on any tracks, other than Spa and the Nurburgring.

The best modification you’ve can do, as it gives the car the drama it needs😀

• Like 1

I was talking from a technical perspective...  ideally YES you also need the 380 downpipe.  It's 60mm diameter on both pipes compared to 51mm on your 350 system.

So yes, Schitnzel is 100% correct, it will work with the 350 downpipe... but the 380 downpipe will yield (very) slight performance gains.

However, the 380 back box (and indeed the same for the 4xx versions) is a pretty bizar design.  At 76mm diameter not the best in terms of performance on the <380 engines with valve open and 48mm on the by-pass with valve closed.

But again, just my .02  

I do admit it sounds good (but too silent for me 😉 hence I went the custom route)

Edited by Kristof Thys
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mark, these exhaust tips, did you get these from Komotec as well or..... I'd fancy them / or in titanium if you wouldn't mind sharing with me? They have the rolled end and yours have the same angle as the diffusor which looks great all together to me! 

Tips were from a Chinese supplier on Ali Express called MZ speed store. You can choose the external diameter and the entry tube size. They cost about £80-£90 delivered. Turned up in about a week. Dan at HPE modified and fitted for an hour's labour. More info on my build thread 👍

_20200726_081352.JPG

• Like 2

@GoldenGun I have Larini headers, Europipe sportcat and completely modified OEM valved back box (valve open= straight pipes, valve closed = absorption track). All in 63.5mm piping. I can control my valve independently from rpms so valve closed is "quiet" all over the rpm range. Valve open is... well...inferno 😁👌

Edited by Kristof Thys
  • Thanks 1

@GoldenGun based in Belgium, all the installation done by yours truly (with moral support from DixieV6 who is the pioneer in the Lotus world in modifying Exige V6's since early 2013). Back box is built by a friend who sadly passed away.  Sportcat was built by Europipe (as a favour, they only do Porsches... And are the best in the business!) 

Valve override is a simple +12v extra wire, switchable from the cabin.  I can choose between 'normal operation' or override always open/always closed. No issue on back pressure as with the OEM boxes (and especially the 380 and onwards back boxes due to the very very small bypass pipe) because all is built in 63.5mm tubing. Added bonus: OEM look and no issue with (Belgian) MOT. 

• Thanks 1

I’m really sorry to hear of your friend’s passing. 

Your setup sounds very well constructed... wish I could persuade europipe to make a second SportCat!

i would very much prefer to avoid the back pressure issues also. 

did you need to remap the car following the mods ?

@GoldenGun the cat is easy. Just get a quality one eg. from HJS or Jim as he also uses HJS iirc. You can get the S-bend with cat pre made (also from Jim). Alternative Larini or others, have no experience with them.

No remap needed. I also run a CAI. 

FYI: Dixie runs NO cats, cai, headers etc. Also here no remap needed, contrary to what you read sometimes on Lotus forums 😈

• Like 1

On 26/07/2020 at 15:17, E1EXG said:

I have changed my 350 exhaust to a 380 one.

Its has brought my Exige alive i would recommend to anybody.

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul,

did you install the 380 downpipe and silencer ?

7 hours ago, GoldenGun said:

Hi Paul,

did you install the 380 downpipe and silencer ?

Yes I believe it was the down pipe & silencer.

It had totally transformed the car👍

• Thanks 1

If I were to get a new valved exhaust from Jim for my Exige S, would it be recommended to use the 380 valved road system or rather the 70mm valved road system for Supercharged? 

Looking for great performance and sound 'out of the box' solution. 

https://www.2bular.co.uk/exige-380/evora-400410-road-system

https://www.2bular.co.uk/exige-s-v6/evora-s-70mm-diameter-valved-system