Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1985 Turbo Esprit - Fan Relays - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1985 Turbo Esprit - Fan Relays

Hi all,

My radiator fan relay started buzzing and clicking a few days ago. I tried a relay from Napa today but the radiator fans start up without the ignition on so clearly it is the incorrect relay. Both the stock relay and the Napa one are 5 pin. My intent is to replace both the Interior Fans Relay and the Radiator Fans Relay.

I've searched for the Wehrle replacement but cant seem to land on the correct part number. If anyone has gone through this and sourced the relays I would appreciate some help.

Pics are attached.

Thanks, Dan

Esprit Fuse Box.jpg

Napa Relay.jpg

Stock Relay - Wehlre.jpg

The dual contact relays you are looking for have markings like the picture below. Yes, they can be difficult to find.

JAE Parts in the USA sells them.

PB060014.JPG

• Like 2

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

That type of relay is common for driving light kits and fuel pumps. 

Bosch 0332019150, (old 0332014113) Hella 4RA933791-06

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Fuel-Pump-Relay-0332019150-12V-30A-For-BMW-Jaguar-Porsche-VW-Volvo/151128917723?hash=item232ffc46db:g:N9YAAOSw~rpZS2Zm

• 2 years later...

Just a warning - the Bosch relay is different to the original as the two contact points are permanently connected. In the original they are only connected when the relay is activated.

It doesn't stop the radiator fan circuit working, but the same type of relay is used on the heater fans, and the Bosch relay will only give two speeds, Low and High (with the mid position giving the same speed as the High). 

bosch relay.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a bit of back and forth with SJSportscars, because they sent me the same relay for the internal and external fans, I've had to admit Steve is right and I am wrong. The relay with the two 87 pins permanently connected (as in the Bosch diagram above) will be ok in both situations. If anyone wants the full explanation I have drawn the circuit in each switch position with each version of the relay.

The short version is that on medium setting, the extra link connects the -ve terminal of the second fan to 12V  and not ground as I had thought. With the original relay it is not connected to anything.  But either way, there is no voltage across the fan so it stays off.

• Like 2