Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Clutch advice options - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Clutch advice options

Tim H

Hi Andy,

I did the clutch last year and new fly wheel, I have to get the old one ground up. I went with the AP std clutch as running std engine, I also replaced the slave cylinder as the original bleed nipple broke off. I have noticed they also do a direct slave cylinder hose from the  master cylinder I wonder if this makes the pedal slightly lighter? 

Hi Andy,

It was the full exchange one from SJ £650 I think at the time, I think they have both gone up. If you fit the full replacement hose let me know if / what difference it makes?

Thanks

Not sure if you guys get specialty clutch shops over there but that was the route I went with mine. Had them replace the friction material with something designed to hold more tq and also adjust the pressure plate for more clamp pressure. Prices depend on shops for sure but a simple rebuild would have been inexpensive.

10 hours ago, andyblackman777 said:

Thartje, I think that's what PNM do . not sure about stiffer pressure plate though?

Looks like they refurbish them but not sure how, if its a completely new friction disks or replacing the material.  A lot of the friction material can be bought in separate and then replaced on the disks. They all have a specific rating for how much grip they will have. Just gives more options than replacing the whole disk or using the factory material, can improve the clutch tq capacity or keep it the same. The pressure plate just needs the fulcrum adjusted to increase/decrease clamping pressure. I was going in circles trying to find a Lotus parts supplier that could provide a higher tq clutch, took a few calls and found several specialty clutch rebuilders that treated it as a common request for various vehicles.