Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Door “red light” logic (or lack of) - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Door “red light” logic (or lack of)

Go to solution Solved by Gjk,

• Gold FFM

When I open the drivers door the red light at the bottom does not illuminate. Close drivers door.

when I open the passenger door both the red lights illuminate on both doors. Close passenger door, both lights remain illuminated.

only when I open the drivers door again will both lights extinguish after a little delay.

I am not electrically minded and have no idea what’s going on. Anyone got any thoughts or ideas?

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

The light delays are "controlled" (I use that term loosely 😇 ) by the Interior Lamp Delay Module (on the 'relay bar' in the frunk, the module is closest to the bulkhead) Reseat the module, look for loose connectors in the base, as usual.

EDIT:  The module is on sheet 17.03A #15 if you have the Parts List.

If you have installed any LED bulb that can confuse the module due to the low resistance.

Edited by CarBuff

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

I’ll have a look at the relay tomorrow. If any of the connectors are loose is it game over for the relay?

In my experience, it is the mustache-shaped CAR CONTACTS in the base of the receptacles that become loose. (This applies to the relays, plugs, and jacks throughout the car, as well.) So, the module could still have plenty of life remaining. 😙

A scribe or straight dental pick can be used to tighten the 'mustache'.

It helps to hold the base's wires whenever you plug in the relay or module. A tight connection can be pushed out the back of the socket.🥵

+++++++++++++++

I had intermittents in these lights a few years ago, just like you. Changed the overhead and door bulbs to LED, and they all worked, either door.

BUT: the door lights stayed on dimly after that. (Only noticed a month later, when I walked into the dark garage) So, I reinstalled the incandescent bulb in the overhead, and VIOLA! everything now works as expected.☺️

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

OK, although this isn't probably the resolution to your symptom, I recently had to add some tape to where the door switch connected with the chassis to ensure the switch was 'off' when the door was shut. Without this tape build-up next to the door switch, the cabin light was constantly flickering on/off whilst driving (as the door flexed randomly during driving turning the switch on/off). 

image.png.73fa6095a4e551ccb1ba80e90dce3c84.png 

I like the tire valve cap solution.

Would it work even BETTER if you used Lotus-Logo caps? 😇

I have used cabinet door bumpers on friend's Esprits but the adhesive isn't robust in the heat of auto interiors, has always required an additional drop of Krazy Glue to stay for any length of time. The valve cap solution overcomes that.☺️

I've also cleaned my door switches too. Wrote an article for the local Lotus club FWIW.

Door switch repair.pdf

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

I think that lotus valve caps would be more fitting 🤣

I know what you mean about the adhesive on cabinet door bump stops! I’m forever replacing them in our kitchen…

I like your write up. That should eradicate any courtesy light issue for a long time to come!