Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Best track day timing app/box? - Trackdays - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Best track day timing app/box?

perkij

So I've done a couple of track days (yay!), having lot's of fun living the Lotus life 🙂  and I'm now starting to care more about my times and seeing where I can improve.  I had a ride in a friends Porsche GT3! and he uses the free Porsche track app in conjunction with the video on his phone and it also taps into the cars own telemetry... combines speed, braking/acceleration %, with video, with g force, and position on track, just seriously amazing stuff.

Someone put me onto the race chrono app, which seems great (free version) but in reality given that I think it only GPS checks once a second (and at 200km/h that's a lot of distance), I find that for many laps it has me breaking Australian lap records, but then I check the data map and it has me cutting across the middle of the field, and I'm neither that good nor that bad.

So the question is, for a Lotus (Evora GT410 Sport if it matters), what is the best logging tool for the occasional track day enthusiast (in Australia)?  I've looked at race logic, race box, a few apps (happy to pay for the full version of race chrono but paying isn't going to improve the GPS signaling), but also none of these seem to compare to my mates GT3 setup.

• Like 1

OBD (WiFi) and an internal/external(bluetooth) GPS module linked to the RaceChrono PRO works fine for me. 

I think that the Porsche track app is just a rebranded Harrys Laptimer. Or they created it for the Porsche. Check harry's laptimer forum. Quite good one 👍

• Like 1

RaceChrono is the best out of the bunch IMHO. I pair it up with a Dual XGPS160 and Kiwi 3 Bluetooth OBD dongle for more accurate lap timing and data logging.

But don't expect any GPS to give you a totally accurate indication of your position on the track. Even the Dual XGPS160 has me running off in to the grass sometimes in the RaceChrono map view, but lap times are pretty accurate compared to track timing (I've tested at Phillip Island, Sandown and Winton).

I'm working on my own lap timer that has a focus on better user interface and user experience for the in-car timing aspects rather than data logging. iOS only for now, but if you have an iPhone let me know and I can add you to the early access list when it's ready for testing by a wider audience.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, SeanW said:

I'm working on my own lap timer that has a focus on better user interface and user experience for the in-car timing aspects rather than data logging. iOS only for now, but if you have an iPhone let me know and I can add you to the early access list when it's ready for testing by a wider audience.

Wow, that’s interesting. Congrats for this type of projects👍 Are you preparing the standalone device or phone app? If phone app, what is your positioning source? Internal or external GPS or selectable?

i am really curious what would be better interface compared to the RaceChrono PRO 😁

Thank you for the responses so far, has been really helpful.  I've purchased the racelogic vbox sport with external GPS (roughly $650 AUD), then will pair with race chrono over harry's lap timer to start (reviews over both seem to have race chrono having more coverage/reliable in AUS).  But will post again when I actually get it set up and test!  Fingers crossed.

• Like 2