Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
exhaust - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

exhaust

Hi All, would like to get some advice please , just purchase a 390 final edition and love it !! i would like to track it a few time later in the year once it is run in, but I am aware that as standard it is to noisy for most tracks. there appears to be quite a few track exhausts available but these will quieten down the car and lose the back opening baffles , which is a great shame as the car sound great when it opens up , it is also clear that you cant simply just shut the baffles or the back pressure will damage the engine when pushing it ?  just when i though there was no option I found this company Larini , they offer a replacement back box and a controlled switch to open and close the baffles , and according to there information, as the design is more open than the OE version you can run flat out with the baffles close without damaging the engine, 

In simple my question has anyone out there got one of these units are are they any good ???

https://www.elise-shop.com/larini-3-club-sport-system-with-valve-control-evora-400-upw-exige-380-upw-p-503535.html

https://www.elise-shop.com/eliseshopcom-electronic-valve-controller-kit-p-502725.html

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think the first thing I'd be doing is e-mailing Larini (or elise-shop) and asking them if they have any data for noise levels with the valve closed and open.

It may be that 'quiet' mode isn't much quieter than standard, and 'loud' mode is even louder! 

Making an Exige track day friendly is quite a big thing, so you think they'd be a making a point of it in their sales blurb.

The other option you've got is to just use an add-on silencer for track days, although you'll still be too loud for some circuits.

1 hour ago, Adriang said:

Hi All, would like to get some advice please , just purchase a 390 final edition and love it !! i would like to track it a few time later in the year once it is run in, but I am aware that as standard it is to noisy for most tracks. there appears to be quite a few track exhausts available but these will quieten down the car and lose the back opening baffles , which is a great shame as the car sound great when it opens up , it is also clear that you cant simply just shut the baffles or the back pressure will damage the engine when pushing it ?  just when i though there was no option I found this company Larini , they offer a replacement back box and a controlled switch to open and close the baffles , and according to there information, as the design is more open than the OE version you can run flat out with the baffles close without damaging the engine, 

In simple my question has anyone out there got one of these units are are they any good ???

https://www.elise-shop.com/larini-3-club-sport-system-with-valve-control-evora-400-upw-exige-380-upw-p-503535.html

https://www.elise-shop.com/eliseshopcom-electronic-valve-controller-kit-p-502725.html

I’ve spent a fair bit of time and money attempting to get a good solution for reducing track noise but also a swap out for when I am using for just road use.

What you perhaps should start with is looking at which tracks you are going to use your car on and work backwards.

Some are static between 92-  105db and others driveby 

No point buying a system which is still too loud for many tracks

Hi Colin

Thanks for the reply, i would like to do silverstone, and brandshatch and as to the rest i will do the ones with the most noise but my friend with is 380 got black flagged at silverstone,

the option that Larini do looks like it will give me the best of both worlds but they wont say what the noise level well come down too when the baffles are closed , so i could spend this money and still end up not being low enough ?

i am not going to track it that much i will be using more on the road than track and i am happy to keep clear of the tracks that have a very low noise limit

I have tried a few exhausts and found no way of having a decent track friendly quiet option and then noisy (and good sounding) on the road with the same system. I run a 2bular QP for track work and have the extension silencers (never needed them yet, even for Bedford). I also had a noisy 2bular valveless box as well but got bored of storing it / swapping them over (although the noise was epic!) so I just run with the quieter exhaust now... 

If you have storage space are handy with the spanners (it's not a difficult job), swapping between 2 exhausts is the easiest and best way to go to get the best of both worlds imho. 

1 hour ago, Adriang said:

Hi Colin

Thanks for the reply, i would like to do silverstone, and brandshatch and as to the rest i will do the ones with the most noise but my friend with is 380 got black flagged at silverstone,

the option that Larini do looks like it will give me the best of both worlds but they wont say what the noise level well come down too when the baffles are closed , so i could spend this money and still end up not being low enough ?

i am not going to track it that much i will be using more on the road than track and i am happy to keep clear of the tracks that have a very low noise limit

Silverstone is fine as it’s quite a high drive by and you can short shift past the meters.

Brands though is a completely different proposition and I think you may struggle.

As stated above the best solution is swap over the back boxes as required. 

If you use an exhaust on track with the valves closed, you will break the valve. 

There is no valved track exhaust that works/lasts.  I suggest just getting the Lotus quiet exhaust, it’s quite easy to swap yourself if you can use a few spanner’s and it’s repackable so when it starts getting louder (all exhausts do over time with use) you can make it quiet again.

On 07/01/2022 at 15:38, Paul_D said:

I think the first thing I'd be doing is e-mailing Larini (or elise-shop) and asking them if they have any data for noise levels with the valve closed and open.

It may be that 'quiet' mode isn't much quieter than standard, and 'loud' mode is even louder! 

Making an Exige track day friendly is quite a big thing, so you think they'd be a making a point of it in their sales blurb.

The other option you've got is to just use an add-on silencer for track days, although you'll still be too loud for some circuits.

i have asked them for the db level when closed but they are saying they have not got its 

On 07/01/2022 at 23:03, GFWilliams said:

If you use an exhaust on track with the valves closed, you will break the valve. 

There is no valved track exhaust that works/lasts.  I suggest just getting the Lotus quiet exhaust, it’s quite easy to swap yourself if you can use a few spanner’s and it’s repackable so when it starts getting louder (all exhausts do over time with use) you can make it quiet again.

On the Larini's the valves work 'the other way round' mechanically: valve OPEN is quiet mode, valve CLOSED is loud mode.  Electronically it's transparant to the car, so it works as OEM.  This was at least the case for the V1 version, but I am pretty sure the V2 version works the same, only the "straight pipe" now goes through the muffler (but isn't perforated).  Valve open: absorption path is taken by the exhaust gasses, valve closed, straight through path is followed.  So NO risk in burning the valve on track as it's always open.

V1 version I had a few weeks on my car.  Valve closed= exhaust gasses forced through the straight pipe, which is loud mode:

spacer.png

But either way, they are too loud for track.

I've never tracked my car, but I have a custom made back box with override switch so I can switch between permanently quiet (absorption muffler) or permanently loud (straight piped).  If you stay with the OEM manifolds with cats, such a setup IMO would work for quiet track days in quiet mode without harming the engine (back pressure) or burning the valve (valve sprung CLOSED without vacuum and not open).

Edited by Kristof Thys
typo