Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
getting one running - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

getting one running

Hi All ,

Looking for some expert help from you all . I have an S2 elite ( non runner ( , and a 2.2 LC 85 Excel , runner . I want to see if i can get the elite running , using parts from the excel to see the state of the engine . Are the  ignition systems the same ? . I have fuel up to the carbs with clean petrol , but weak spark and not starting . Before I go out and replace everything at significant cost . Does anyone know if I can tranfer parts over from the two cars .

Many Thanks in Anticipation 

Regards 

Lee

Hi Lee

Changing the HT leads and spark plugs shouldnt be a problem. You might have to re gap the plugs from 0.8 to 0.6mm though.(possibly have different rating but will be ok for getting started) Check condition of rotor arm and distributor cap. Electronic ignition upgrades are available for around £40 if hasnt already been done. Cleaning and checking  the condition of the spark plug can tell you what the problem might be. The Excel will have the AB14 ignition and the elite will have an earlier type. 

Angus 

• Thanks 1

The Elite will have Lumention. IIRC a different type with regard to the AB14m the distributor and the plugs. I am no mechanic but this sounds troublesome when only changing one of the above ?

Is the coil as well up to the job? 

• Thanks 1

On 28/01/2022 at 22:57, USAndretti42 said:

Hi, Lee.  Is this the one from near Northampton that was on Ebay recently?

Yes , 

I bought it last year from a member on here . And it was running not long before I bought it . I bought a few projects last year , but due to poor health have decided to dwindle them down to one or two . I sold a lovely S1 just before xmas , a burgandy one . I put the white S2 on Ebay to test the waters . Its a good car and the S2 is becoming rare now . But as a non runner it failed to create much interest ,so I ended the listing . I would like to get it running , but as I said due to health problems , it looks like I may have to sub this out , or sell as is . 

regards 

Lee

On 28/01/2022 at 09:06, Angus553 said:

Hi Lee

Changing the HT leads and spark plugs shouldnt be a problem. You might have to re gap the plugs from 0.8 to 0.6mm though.(possibly have different rating but will be ok for getting started) Check condition of rotor arm and distributor cap. Electronic ignition upgrades are available for around £40 if hasnt already been done. Cleaning and checking  the condition of the spark plug can tell you what the problem might be. The Excel will have the AB14 ignition and the elite will have an earlier type. 

Angus 

thankyou for the reply and help . i will see what i can do this week and report back 

Regards 

Lee

On 28/01/2022 at 09:06, Angus553 said:

Hi Lee

Angus 

thankyou , will let you know how i get on 

regards 

Lee

• Like 1