Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Selector fork 1st/2nd - Wanted - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Selector fork 1st/2nd

Escape

I'm rebuilding the 5-speed box for my Elan +2. I never was able to select 1st gear, turns out the selector fork is worn and not engaging properly with the synchro. Unfortunately, none of the usual suspects can supply the fork for 1st/2nd. And I'm reluctant to try a weld-on repair because of the material of the fork and the potential consequences should it fail.

It's the same box with Austin Maxi internals as used in the Elite/Eclat, apart from bellhousing and output, so I thought I'd try my luck here.

Anyone know where I might find a new or used fork? I'm surprised there isn't more available, isn't the selector mechanism the same as in the Austin Maxi? Or were those all scrapped and crushed?

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Pete, adding metal is an option, but I'd rather not.

The fingers that grip the synchro hub have worn, so they no longer move it to engage first. Second would have the same problem, if it wasn't for the teeth on the synchro that give the fork something to push to. Not without wear though... I fear if the fork isn't redressed to exactly the right dimensions, and all around the circumference, it will soon wear again.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found a second hand one, what a relief!

I must say all the sellers I contacted (bar one) were quick to reply, even if they couldn't supply the part.

• Like 1