Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Should fuel pump stop if you don’t start the engine? - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Should fuel pump stop if you don’t start the engine?

sunste

I just got my fuel pump working, ran it fore 30s and i flooded cyl 1-2… the sparks was out and fuel got all over 😅

So should the fule pump stop when it reach the right presure? Or is it just the needle valve in the carb that stops the fule?

I have one wire down by the fule pump thats not conected, white and pink anyone know where it should go?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes the needle valve to the float chamber controls the flow of fuel from the pump. If the needle valve is worn it will allow the float chamber to over fill and fuel will come out from the very small air vent at the top of the chamber and leak into the trumpet of the carb, something I learnt from experience. If in any doubt replace that valve with a Vitron tipped replacement, only a couple of pounds more and far better.

Fuel pump on mine has white/purple wire from ignition, a capacitor to the chassis and wire to earth, nothing else. I believe on yours the white/purple wire goes to an inertia switch and from there to the ignition via a white wire

• Like 1

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

No. fuel pump will always continue to run. 

Keep in mind that there is very little logic in our cars. The fuel system is a return system with a fuel pressure regulator. It's a "dumb" system that just keeps pumping fuel in and dumping what isn't needed back into the tanks.

1 minute ago, Choppa said:

Yes the needle valve to the float chamber controls the flow of fuel from the pump. If the needle valve is worn it will allow the float chamber to over fill and fuel will come out from the very small air vent at the top of the chamber and leak into the trumpet of the carb, something I learnt from experience. If in any doubt replace that valve with a Vitron tipped replacement, only a couple of pounds more and far better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that only fills the bowl, it doesn't stop the fuel pump from running. As far as I know, there's no electrical "connection" between the carbs and the fuel pump.

• Like 1

1997 Jeep XJ | 1983 Lotus Turbo Esprit

Ok, i’ll check and replace the needle valve! 👍🏻 
I allso have the same wire connected to the pump. the inerta switch works regardless of the white pink wire not connected. 

46 minutes ago, DrieStone said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that only fills the bowl, it doesn't stop the fuel pump from running. As far as I know, there's no electrical "connection" between the carbs and the fuel pump

Correct, it's just the float chamber needle valves that stop the fuel flowing on both NA & Turbo cars :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

18 hours ago, sunste said:

Tryed cleaning the needle valve and it worked! very dirty petrol… 😀

Might well be worth replacing both carbs' valves in case they stick again, don't forget the distributor is directly below the carbs & the last thing you want is fuel dripping on that. 🤯

You can get them for about £10 here :thumbup:

Edited by jonwat
  • Like 2

Cheers,

John W

• 7 months later...

Depending on your car spec, if you disconnect the small grey connector to the fuel inertia cut off switch close to where the coil and all that is housed, that appears to stop the fuel pump running, at least it does in my US spec 1984 Turbo.