Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
White Tyre Lettering Questions - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

White Tyre Lettering Questions

GreenGoddess

Hi Guys

I want to put the classic Good Year white tyre lettering on my 1984 Turbo and I am interested in creating the lettering myself.

I have a laser cutter and can get hold of the white silicone rubber sheet material but I need to know the following:

1. What size should the letters be?

2. What glue is used to attach them to the tyre?

3. Does anyone have the Good Year graphics on their computer than I can steal?

Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
19 hours ago, TAR said:

Have you seen this post? It may have some details or you may decide just to buy a set :) 

Thanks. Yes, I've seen that post before. But I'm looking for the graphics and some idea on what type of glue would be best. If I can gather the necessary info then hopefully I can make my own and help out others on this forum if they need any. It would save bulk ordering from the USA.

Edited by GreenGoddess
stupidity
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Bazza 907 said:

@GreenGoddess

As per my earlier post - no need for a bulk buy, includes glue, instructions and they're UK supplied

https://tyrewallstickers.com/collections/good-year/products/vintage-goodyear-decals

and 25mm is the correct size to order the set of 8 decals or not?

i also still need 8 of those on my 2 cars!

If my calculations are correct and if all goes well, I should be able to manufacture and supply sets of these Good Year white tyre letters for around £40. That price will include the following:

• 5 sets of 25mm GOOD YEAR letters (enough for 4 tyres plus a spare set to replace missing letters)
  • Glue
  • Template
  • UK postage (International tracked postage will be £8 extra)

It will be a couple of weeks before I know if I can make this happen. I will report back.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Well I thought I'd update you all on this. I finally finished making the tyre letters and applied them to my car. The first glue I tried was contact adhesive but the letters started peeling off on the first drive. I then reapplied them with super glue gel and they are now rock solid. They look absolutely fantastic but the manufacturing process was such a pain that I have decided not to bother making additional sets for sale. I'm happy to offer advice for any of you that want to try it though.

IMG_5484.JPG

I bought a set from Tredwear in The States and then more locally from Tyre Wall Stickers in the UK. Both sets were supplied with a super glue adhesive and worked well.

I can imagine the work that goes into these so in reality it's perhaps as cost-effective getting them from someone who has already die cut these.

They do look great on the right car - early Turbo 👍

Yeah, the super glue really gets a good hold. I used a super glue gel which was especially good. 

Now I have the design file and know how to do it, I would do it again for myself but I couldn't be bothered making them to sell. It would drive me nuts.

IMG_5697.JPG

• Gold FFM

As far as I can see, the originals are smaller and a different font - less italicized - (by original I mean the ones on the Goodyear NCTs fitted to Esprit's at the time which are often the look which people seek to duplicate) - I have used the Tyre Wall stickers ones which have this font - based on Fabian's input I believe - they look smart but they are rather expensive - I also have a habit of occasionally destroying one or two of them by curbing the car slightly... 

Yes, too big and wrong font.

2 hours ago, skiing said:

I also have a habit of occasionally destroying one or two of them by curbing the car slightly... 

I don't suppose GOO EAR does your street cred. much good 🤣