Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Buying a project, importing to the EU - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Buying a project, importing to the EU

KaeptnNemo

Hello mates!

My recent "favourite waste of time" is my (...our ...my wife resists on 😉) '92 SE. It's kind of ok, but a lot of work to do because the PO botched a lot... That is bothering me, but no real big deal but waiting weeks over weeks for parts, ordering new parts, waiting again....

But anyhow, we get addicted... Maybe I like the fun, taking photos of my wife in the Lotus position 😄

The more we work on the car, the more teh idea grows, having and restoring an S3 turbo. BUT....

Mechanically it should be no problem, I think my garage is partly better equipped than a professional garage.

So.. let me come to the core question...

Where to get the project???

I'd love to get a LHD, but they are rare (btw. I live in Germany). In Germany, there is a very thin market (and expensive) for Esprits.

The US is a bit better, but it is too far to jump into the Aircraft and hop over for a quick scan of a "pile of junk".

UK is a bit better, but they are all RHD. I have driven some RHD, but it is not my favourite. I am not sure, if a conversion to LHD is a good idea, and does not bust the budget...

I searched the internet, but I am not sure, what is scam, what is junk and what is worth a look.

Any help or idea appreciated.

Patrick

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I got used to my RHD Esprit very quickly. I wouldn't want it any other way as it adds to the character of a British car. 😉 I would even go as far as to say I regret my Jag isn't RHD, but it was a deal too good to pass. So I certainly wouldn't dismiss a Turbo Esprit from UK. Conversion, while possible, would be quite the project, and you'd run in to the same problems with parts, if not worse because you'll need a lot of less common items.

Importing will take a bit more paperwork than before, but nothing too bad. After all, we've been importing US cars to the EU for years and it's no different. 

I know of one Belgian (so LHD) Turbo Esprit in need of restoration, but I don't think the owner will easily be persuaded to sell her...

Great choice of cars BTW!

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

unfortunately, GB is no longer EU...

so that would haven been the preferable market, but right now, it costs 10%customs plus 19% tax additionally... That makes the import very expensive...

My point was, the tax etc isn't stopping the import of cars from the US to EU. UK now isn't any different, just easier to go have a look and get hings shipped. 😉

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

10 years ago I brought a Mercedes SL500 from Florida over here… that was financially talking similar to German prices… But the cars are more colorful than here. So I bought a red one with tan leather… impossible to get over here   😆

But 2012 the US$ was 1,30€…. Now the Euro is 20% less 😕

I am not scared of customs, but it makes Import expensive!

For a “historic” car (30years old, good condition required) you could save the customs and only pay 7% tax, but a project will never pass customs under these conditions 😆

Patrick, I did my RHD to LHD conversion myself in a small garage with limited tools.  if you go for a full rebuild I'll go that route, get yourself a original LHD rack instead of one from SJ as they are made cheap.  I got an LHD rack and ordered some new parts from the UK, you need a new bracket for the pedals but no need to weld (I did weld because the front needed to be painted anyway), and I used an eps steering column just because. so get one from the UK or contact Bauke on this site he has many contacts and is from Friesland (the dutch one)