Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Renew Oil Filter - tip on keeping it clean? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Renew Oil Filter - tip on keeping it clean?

Quicker

• Gold FFM

Chaps - new owner of a 89 SE and a DIYer. So I've been going through the car - getting familiar wit it and swapping all the fluids to baseline everything back onto the maintenance schedule.

Did an oil change this weekend. Is there some trick to minimize oil spill when renewing the filter?

My Lincoln LS has a horizontally mounted filter - but it's right at the bottom of the engine - you you can just unscrew it and drop it into the oil drain without getting anything else covered.

The wife's Taurus filter it mounter much higher up on the block but vertically mounted - so as long as you are careful you can drop it without a spill.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure there's much you can do really its in such a confined space and whats worse is that you can't pull it straight out either cos it gets hooked up on the chargecooler pump on the SE. I think the best that can be done is to stuff plenty of rags underneath before removal and even doing this some of the oil seemed to get away last time I did it, eventualy it ran out of the hole in the undertray halfway down the car :thumbsup: .

Martyn :unworthy:

let the car cool down for a few minutes after heating the oil up, the oil will drain some into the sump pickup tube. There will always be residual oil but as soon as I unscrew the filter I just tilt it back so I minimize spillage, but I always spill some, which is ok as it fits in with the other leaks on the floor already :thumbsup:

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm