Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rear bulkhead bodge - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Rear bulkhead bodge

Go to solution Solved by CarBuff,

• Gold FFM

On my “to do” list is the bulkhead clonk. I removed the drivers side bulkhead carpet and was surprised to see a letter box cut out in the sound deadening. What I wasn’t expecting was what I found underneath (ref photos). It doesn’t look as if the plate with six self tappers holding it to the bulkhead was ever installed. I’m not sure if what I have is a blessing or a curse. If I can just tighten it up then fine.

5C8796D8-8554-4767-B421-FF2D1A8BE7E0.jpeg

EEEEC227-BF5C-458B-B607-0BCE05B512BD.jpeg

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Looks as if it was tightened previously.

The actual 'flanged' plate (Lotus' fix for the looseness) came along around the time of the 1993SE

A082A4351F

If you have an S4 - V8 parts book, the new one is shown on sheet 10.03A

S4 bulkhead plate.JPG

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

Oh, I didn’t realise that! Thanks @CarBuff . I just assumed that there was a plate. Should have known better - assumption is the mother of all f**k ups!

well, as long as the nuts haven’t bottomed out on the bolt threads I’ll just tighten them up. 

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

• Solution

Originally there WAS a flat plate on the bulkhead. Requires periodic tightening.

Other body-to-chassis hardware that needs the same periodic maintenance are: (See # 1, 5, and 9 in the pic )

The bolts in the frunk (forward boot).  Some are horizontal, and there are two vertical ones that are captured under the footrests (you can 'feel' the heads under the carpet).

The horizontal bolts in the rear boot, just aft of the engine wall. (Sometimes you can hear a clunk or snap if the body's glassfibre cracks on these. There are topics here regards repair)

Bulkhead bolts 88 92.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• 1 month later...