Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ignition Sprocket off by 3 teeth - OK? - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ignition Sprocket off by 3 teeth - OK?

pmth95
Go to solution Solved by Sparky,

On 03/08/2023 at 11:23, DrieStone said:

I received my unit this week, and I'm going to try to install this weekend. Not sure if you remember, but Barry's note says to set it to 10° BTDC. I'm reading this as I should ignore the directions that say to set to to TDC and set the engine to 10° and rotate the distributor until I see the LED? I had Barry preprogram the unit, so it sounds like I just set the engine to 10°, set the LED, and I should be good to go.

I just want to make sure it's not something I do through the software (set the car to TDC and set an option in the software to 10°).

I had the same question to Barry about this.  I think you're assumption is correct.  I set my 123 distributor up with the engine at TDC and it was too far advanced when idling.  I had to rotate the distributor to 10 degrees BTDC at idle once it was running.  I used an advance timing light too.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I just took the car out today and things seem to be running pretty well. To clarify:

1) Set the engine to 10° TDC and rotate the distributor until the LED comes on (I actually just hooked up the red/blue wires to the battery with some alligator clips so there was no need to turn the car on).

2) Remove the amplifier out of the circuit, per Barry, there is no need for the ignition amplifier. Just run right to the coil. I removed the amplifier entirely and just left a bolt to use as a negative lug.

1997 Jeep XJ | 1983 Lotus Turbo Esprit

As an additional check, I'd also see what advance you get if you put a timing light on it at max advance.  EG on a UK spec car you would be looking for around 28 degrees at 3500RPM (max advance)